Limp Mode 6.2L 2010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bebrown1075

Reaction score
Hey guys..

FYI for those of you with an early build 2010 6.2L. Mine was built 04/2010. Apparently there can be an issue where the wiring harness that goes from the PCM to the transmission comes loose from its tie and rests against the exhaust and melts it.

How do I know you ask? Well... my truck has stranded me twice in the last week where it has gone in to limp mode and the trans was slamming in to gear. It would slam in to 2nd and then 3rd and then go right in to limp mode. After the 2nd trip to the dealer on a flat bed they were able to duplicate the issue while the truck was hooked to diagnostic equipment. When the truck was run on the expressway for a long period of time it would get hot enough to cause a short in this connection. City driving it would not rear its ugly head. Both times the truck went in to limp mode was after a 30-40 min expressway trip.

Once my dealer got it on the rack while working with the Ford helpline they were able to determine it was this melted harness.

This part has supposedly been changed 5 or 6 times now to keep it secured to the frame and away from the exhaust.

The part is now on order and should be here any day.

For anyone that has had this problem I hope this post can help you.

Sorry for the long post.

Brad

OP
OP
bebrown1075

bebrown1075

Reaction score
You are most welcome. My truck has 26,000 miles on it and has never had an issue. Out of the blue it happend. No warning or anything. One day fine... the next day not...

My local dealer spend a good part of yesterday driving the truck and logging data to find the issue. I think they put well over 100 miles on it. But you know what.. I don't care... After the 2nd time getting stranded and calling Ford Roadside I had enough. I didn't care how much they drove it.

It was disturbing how hard it was going in to gear.

Brad

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do pictures <G>

Hey everyone, I am back! I have an early 6.2 as well (remember those days dawg... waiting on your truck?). I went into limp mode just once at about 15,000 miles... they never did find out why. Does anyone have a pic of this harness so I can check my truck?

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brad,

Could you confirm these locations for me please. Based on the information that you supplied I believe the PCM cable that runs near the exhaust is the one in the first photo.
IMG_4169.jpg

This cable runs behind the oil pan cover near the exhaust and looks like it terminates in the trans. It is the cable that I am pointing to with the yardstick. Also it is wrapped in insulating tape.
IMG_4170.jpg

I could not find a hanger or tie that keeps it from the exhaust although mine was undamaged. I hope that you were able to see and can confirm these for us. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Hey everyone, I am back! I have an early 6.2 as well (remember those days dawg... waiting on your truck?). I went into limp mode just once at about 15,000 miles... they never did find out why. Does anyone have a pic of this harness so I can check my truck?

It's great to have you back!!! I hope all is well and yes I remember the wait times....no fun for sure.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I went and checked mine. It was built 5/10 and is pulled back and secured to the firewall and wrapped in heat shield. Maybe this is a 4/10 build issue only?