Leaking rear diff after service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had my rear diff serviced on 1/18/2016, about 3000 miles ago. Noticed tonight a strange burning smell when I was parking it, then noticed a ton of fluid under it.

The service was done my Ford dealer that does all my work. Having it towed in tonight (out of pocket). Hopefully they own up to the repairs and nothing got seriously damaged.

av1w75.jpg

x6bpnd.jpg

*sigh*

4th time at dealer for factory/dealer related issues in 3 years of ownership.

1. Airbag light on passenger side
2. Rusted rocker panels
3. Clogged catalytic converter
4. Leaking diff

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's the worst outcome? What could be damaged?

This needs to be fixed out of their pocket, not mine.

There's a lot that COULD be wrong, so I'd ask them to replace the rear end. I guess it depends on how long you drove it low on oil. Rear diffs and internals hate high heat/friction conditions.

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's a lot that COULD be wrong, so I'd ask them to replace the rear end. I guess it depends on how long you drove it low on oil. Rear diffs and internals hate high heat/friction conditions.

Problem is I don't know how long it was low. I just noticed it this evening. It never had that burning smell until tonight, when I noticed it. But I guess if I could smell it burning, it's bad.

Can they tell once they remove the cover if anything else was damaged? A visual inspection?

Last edited:

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Problem is I don't know how long it was low. I just noticed it this evening. It never had that burning smell until tonight, when I noticed it. But I guess if I could smell it burning, it's bad.

Can they tell once they remove the cover if anything else was damaged? A visual inspection?

They can. If they will, well.....

I wouldn't be surprised, and you should be prepared for it, if they blame the leak on the aftermarket cover. It's a lame excuse, but they will do what they can to get out of it.

IMO, they should tear it apart and do a thorough inspection. You've got them by the short hairs, so tell them to do it all.....

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They can. If they will, well.....

I wouldn't be surprised, and you should be prepared for it, if they blame the leak on the aftermarket cover. It's a lame excuse, but they will do what they can to get out of it.

IMO, they should tear it apart and do a thorough inspection. You've got them by the short hairs, so tell them to do it all.....

If they try to blame the cover, which won't surprise me, that's a pretty lame and low excuse to cover up bad service.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
If they try to blame the cover, which won't surprise me, that's a pretty lame and low excuse to cover up bad service.

If they had issues with the cover they should have refused to service it. However since they went ahead without saying anything, they assumed responsibility for servicing it correctly.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@DrippinRaptor What type of service did you have done? Did the oil leak out around the seal between the cover and the diff housing or did it leak at the screw in drain plug on the cover. Hope the dealership makes things right as much as possible. I have the same diff cover, but installed it myself and haven't had any leaks thus far. Knock on wood.