Jerking/rocking feel when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigWurmHerm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where exactly to post this, so I'll try here. In the past week or so, when I come to a stop, just a normal stop, I feel a jerking motion. Feels like the truck is rocking forward. The truck has 33k miles with mostly highway miles, little off-roading(per previous owner), so I don't think it would be the suspension. Brakes & rotors look good. Maybe the transmission? I've heard the timing with the stock Ford software was kinda wonky. I did a search on the forum and couldn't find anything. Anything helps, thanks!

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its rythmical, its usually the rotors. not sure how you checked them, but you can get the resurfaced to try.

You'll usually feel a pulsing through the brake pedal if a rotor is warped. What he described sounds more like a torque converter not coming out of lock up when coming to a stop.

One way to eliminate the torque converter is to put the trans in neutral before applying the brakes and coming to a stop. If it stops normal, its a drive train issue. if you still get a pulsing or jerking while braking, it sounds like the brake system problem like a rotor

OP
OP
B

BigWurmHerm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll usually feel a pulsing through the brake pedal if a rotor is warped. What he described sounds more like a torque converter not coming out of lock up when coming to a stop.

One way to eliminate the torque converter is to put the trans in neutral before applying the brakes and coming to a stop. If it stops normal, its a drive train issue. if you still get a pulsing or jerking while braking, it sounds like the brake system problem like a rotor

I know the warped rotor feeling and it doesn't feel like that at all. Ill try putting it neutral tomorrow and see if that does anything. Ill report back.

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is that how you test a torque converter in general?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Are you talking about that slight springy feeling the first few seconds after a complete stop where the truck seems to rocks back and forth?

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you talking about that slight springy feeling the first few seconds after a complete stop where the truck seems to rocks back and forth?

that's how I read the post, and my truck has done that since brand spanking new with 39 miles on the odometer. It's not violent or a whole lot or even very noticeable, but enough that I can pick it up compared to my non-raptor trucks I've owned, and it used to drive me nuts till I got used to it. Probably changed how I come to a stop a little bit to make it do it less. I would also be able to hear fuel slosh in the tank a little bit if it was quiet enough.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you kinda get it when you start too? With a slight chirp and almost a bit of feeling as though something was bound up and releases?