ISSUES after install of Pedal Commander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcote1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have personally never had a issue with PC on my 17' truck, but I vaguely remember reading about issues others have had.

For example, @Gilligan posted this:

Mine started to cause the truck to rev up to like 3k when stopped/stopping. The final time it happened I was at a complete stop with brakes fully applied when it surged forward about the length of a parking spot. I took it off immediately after that final surge and haven’t had the problem since.

Thank god I was pulling into a space without a car in front because I would have smashed it. And if it happened where I park at work my truck would have gone down a 50ft cliff. People will shrug it off but it was scary stuff, especially because my pregnant fiancé was in the car when it happened.

After talking to a member here with a ton of knowledge on the subject I’m pretty convinced these things are untested and very unsafe. Pedal Commander has been asked for proof of testing several times but was never able or willing to provide it and all the ‘OMG its so awesome’ comments buried those conversations.

For some reason I can't figure out how to share it but I did post my dash cam vid of the final surge on FRF facebook back on May 24th when it happened. I'll try to get it posted on here later.

EDIT: https://i.imgur.com/eYcHvJ0.gifv

No sound in that video to hear our reaction or the truck revving, but you can see it

As he mentions, the issues people have tend to get buried in the fan boi comments, so I figure starting a thread with issues only would help keep it a little more pronounced so people could make a more informed decision before purchase.

Thanks for input

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
We tried to get some testing data from them way back on the PC mega thread, but they just kept making excuses for why they can't get it.

These were tests that, as I understood it, are run on the OEM throttle systems to ensure they are not subject to interference. I'll go dig up the posts.

Edit: Those were EMC test results that we were after. They were promised mid to late April and nothing has been mentioned since. Posts were on facebook so I'll see what i can do.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Reaction score
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f261/pedal-commander-awesomeness-52321/index57.html#post1221133

“I wasn't going to respond but the posting of this Certification has opened the door.

CE Certification excellent! This provides zero credibility. Pretty much a self certification saying you did testing. Doesn't say the type.

Lets see testing to Automotive specifications. I'll help you out.
ISO-11454-2
ISO-11454-4
ISO-11454-9
CISPR25

All the systems including the TPS, ECU, ETB all have to conform to these specifications and are highly scrutinized before being implemented. These test cost hundred of thousands of dollars from Design to placement in the vehicle. I would venture to say that a part that cost $300 has 0 credible testing.

I would think that any system that is controlling that signal should be tested to these same standards as well.

Why should you be concerned? A company I work for makes a piece of equipment that is almost exactly the same. It tells the ECU what the % of ethanol in the fuel is. It doesn't pass any test, and these are real world RF Tests. The difference is the engine really doesn't care if there is a 10% (The amount the signal can change before failure) change in ethanol content.

You are going to know 10% change in throttle to the ECU and that is our threshold point, at max real world (ie. Radar Array) it sends it to 100% duty cycle or 0. That is WOT or Nothing.

I can keep going but I think you get the point.”

This post by Kanakry who literally does this stuff for a living says it all. Even if someone hasn’t had issues yet when they do it could be catastrophic.

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the name of the competing product?

PEDALMAX?

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f261/pedal-commander-awesomeness-52321/index57.html#post1221133

“I wasn't going to respond but the posting of this Certification has opened the door.

CE Certification excellent! This provides zero credibility. Pretty much a self certification saying you did testing. Doesn't say the type.

Lets see testing to Automotive specifications. I'll help you out.
ISO-11454-2
ISO-11454-4
ISO-11454-9
CISPR25

All the systems including the TPS, ECU, ETB all have to conform to these specifications and are highly scrutinized before being implemented. These test cost hundred of thousands of dollars from Design to placement in the vehicle. I would venture to say that a part that cost $300 has 0 credible testing.

I would think that any system that is controlling that signal should be tested to these same standards as well.

Why should you be concerned? A company I work for makes a piece of equipment that is almost exactly the same. It tells the ECU what the % of ethanol in the fuel is. It doesn't pass any test, and these are real world RF Tests. The difference is the engine really doesn't care if there is a 10% (The amount the signal can change before failure) change in ethanol content.

You are going to know 10% change in throttle to the ECU and that is our threshold point, at max real world (ie. Radar Array) it sends it to 100% duty cycle or 0. That is WOT or Nothing.

I can keep going but I think you get the point.”

This post by Kanakry who literally does this stuff for a living says it all. Even if someone hasn’t had issues yet when they do it could be catastrophic.

Gilligan

Reaction score
What is the name of the competing product?

PEDALMAX?

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Pedalmax, most people skeptical about the PC would be equally skeptical of the pedalmax.. This is about the safety of these units

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok enuff banter.

Ive read what you have posted but what i want to see then are the negative outcomes with a PC? What has happened? Where are the reports on here?

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Pedalmax, most people skeptical about the PC would be equally skeptical of the pedalmax.. This is about the safety of these units

JnJraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pedal commander for my 14. Loved it for about a year, but just a couple weeks ago I noticed a higher than normal rev on startup. It went right back to normal rpm and I checked plug and restarted truck it seemed fine. Next day I went to leave parking lot and the truck held a high idle. In drive the truck was gaining speed with my foot off the pedal. I immediately disconnected. Haven’t contacted company yet, came here to see if anyone else had had the problem...

Gilligan

Reaction score
I have a pedal commander for my 14. Loved it for about a year, but just a couple weeks ago I noticed a higher than normal rev on startup. It went right back to normal rpm and I checked plug and restarted truck it seemed fine. Next day I went to leave parking lot and the truck held a high idle. In drive the truck was gaining speed with my foot off the pedal. I immediately disconnected. Haven’t contacted company yet, came here to see if anyone else had had the problem...

Kind of sounds like the same symptoms mine had in the days/weeks before the large surge.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Seems people with weird issues are beginning to come out of the woodwork

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Seems people with weird issues are beginning to come out of the woodwork

Yeah, just like the publicly known FRF accounts that are all Sasquatch77. There’s the original ’77, Mcnawsty, MGD and it has more active accounts here but those are the obvious ones. It uses some other accounts very, very infrequently.

Gilligan’s doesn’t sound like a pedal commander issue, but it’s difficult to say.
Did super duty or other gas v8 customers also report issues with PC?