Instruments cut out and truck went into "limp home" mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving home from the parental units' residence at around 74,060 miles or so and 70mph, the truck gave me a disturbing shudder as it abruptly kicked down to 5th gear and showed a big yellow wrench on the Vehicle Infomation screen. Hit OK and immediately lost the speedometer, odometer (you read that right), all trip/mileage info, select shift capability, and cruise control.

When I got off the highway, it was immediately apparent the tranny had locked out all forward ratios other than 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. Reverse was still available when I parked it at home. Odometer read "------.-" when I got out of the truck immediately after shutting it down. Haven't had a chance to pull any codes (don't have a working code reader at home) but, the REALLY weird part is, an hour or so later, the odometer was back to normal when I got back in the truck. The truck also started up as if nothing happened. All displays and transmission function seemed to be back to normal.

Only previous issues with the truck (29-Nov-2010 build date) were the dreaded "clunk" that finally got repaired with a new drive shaft at around 10,000 miles. At 34.750 miles or so, the tranny valve body had to be replaced after the truck displayed a similar "wrench" the first time in January 2012. And at around 50,000 miles, the wiper motor quit while I was hunting in the Texas Hill Country last year. All of this stuff happened under the standard warranty or ESP coverage after 36,000mi.

Any one seen something similar?

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I had something similar. My truck would literally SLAM into gear and would decide 3rd or maybe 5th would be the one and only gear it wanted and you couldn't over ride I with the shifter. Didnt matter the speed either. Wrench would pop up.
Turns out my alternator had gone out and was starving the computer of power so it started to freeze and freak out.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Makes sense, but wouldn't have guessed alternator either... Hopefully it's something simple like that

FLHTC14bm

Reaction score
Bringing this one back to life, anyone else had this happen? I have had it happen twice in 2 weeks, both about the exact time my phone tried to pair with Sync - both times stop and re-start with phone unpaired and no more issues at all. No codes stored from the event either (I have a phone app that runs a diagnostic at all times when the app is on) - appreciate any/ all input!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What App and what kind of OBDII dongle.

There is an issue with those cheap ELM units you can get for $15. Don't use them!!!

FLHTC14bm

Reaction score
What App and what kind of OBDII dongle.

There is an issue with those cheap ELM units you can get for $15. Don't use them!!!

Didn't think of that, that might be it.......... coming off on the way home later to see if it happens again............ thanks!