Inner CV Boots Torn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inner CV Boots on my truck are torn, need to be replaced. Dealer is obviously giving me a hard time with warranty claim because the truck is on the top perch, but they haven't won the argument yet.

My question is does anyone have a part number for a replacement boot that fits? The dealer told me you can't just replace the boot on trucks with Hill Descent Control, and that you have to do the entire assembly.

I know I've heard of others with boot issues, so I'm hoping one of you can steer me in the right direction.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the boots are done, the mechanical parts are going away, also?

I'd suggest disconnecting the front driveshaft and halfshafts. Probably be faster as a 2x4 Raptor, anyway.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i would seriously check with another dealer if you can cause i have mine on the middle perch and a while back noticed one of my boots was torn as well and took it in and they asked me if i did the perch myself and said yea haha they mechanic said GOOD cause they charge out the ass to do it at the dealership lol but anyways yea they replaced just the boot im pretty sure cause i had it back within 2 hours so check with another dealership cause im sure the perch mod had nothing to do with the boot being torn

OP
OP
panda

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah , I"ll be seeing someone else about it for sure.

I was just hoping to find out if the regular F-150 CV Boots are the same, or if "Raptor Specific" boots exist. I get the feeling this dealership isn't very educated on the Raptor, and I'm not going to pay the price for their ignorance.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Torn boot doesn't necessarily correlate to worn CV. And the boot should have nothing to do with the joint. Stupid dealer imo.

Check with Team Ford Parts or Parker Ford, if you are planning on buying the part and replacing it yourself. They will at least be able to tell you if it can be bought seperately.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

From teamfordparts.com

[ Not Shown ] FRONT DRIVE AXLE / DRIVE AXLES / AXLE SHAFTS & JOINTS / INNER BOOT
inner boot F150

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$58.65 $0.00 $41.42

OP
OP
panda

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Trey, that's what I was looking for.

I'm not happy with this dealer for a couple of reasons related to my recent experience, and wanted to ask people smarter than me what I need to be shopping for in case I just end up doing it myself.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Thanks Trey, that's what I was looking for.

I'm not happy with this dealer for a couple of reasons related to my recent experience, and wanted to ask people smarter than me what I need to be shopping for in case I just end up doing it myself.

It shouldn't be that hard to change. I've done some CVs on the race car, other than being a messy bitch its not bad.

You will have to pull everything apart on the front end to get em out, but it really isn't that bad. (Disclaimer, I have torn mine apart like 4 times, so I am on top of the learning/have the right tools curve).

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not a direct answer to your question, but isn't an entire new assembly something like $170? At that price, they might be considered throw away at regular service intervals...

OP
OP
panda

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should clarify...when I say "myself" - I mean pay someone other than the dealership to do it for me!

While I'd love to have the space, tools, and ability to attempt it, I don't have any of the three. I am quite capable of finding the best price on a part and taking it to a local shop I trust to handle it for me, so that's what I'd end up doing.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

Not a direct answer to your question, but isn't an entire new assembly something like $170? At that price, they might be considered throw away at regular service intervals...

I'm not sure exactly what is needed, I didn't get a part list from the dealer. I just picked my truck up and took off. $170 for each side still is a little high compared to just replacing the boot. BTW, I only have 22,000 miles - and very few of those were off road.