GEN 1 ICON 3.0 Coilover coming apart

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

After running Baja and removing the shock covers, I found this issue. The bottom of the shock cap has come off. There is absolutely no shock fluid anywhere so not sure how serious this might be or not?

I assume I have to remove and dismantle the shock to get this screwed back in? This ever happen to anyone else?

ef60af4ae5200114a94296d206d3b91c.jpg

be71f71943e0e15cb874f5f0ac673970.jpg

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an inner seal that is holding the oil in......the seal in the cap is more of a wiper.

Having said that, I would remove the spring ASAP and screw the cap on before it gets damaged

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rick - there is a small allen-headed locking screw that you need to inspect to make sure it is still in there. It may have been forgotten upon assemble. If it's missing, that is what holds that cap in place AFTER it has been screwed tight. @Sano Dano is correct, you need to get that tightened up ASAP. Be careful when removing the shock, as removing that cap is the first step to disassembling the entire shock pack. You should be able to get the cap started BEFORE you droop the shock for removal to prevent any oil loss. You may want to get your pressure checked in that shock as well. I would definitely call Icon, or wherever you purchased the shock, and let them know about it as well. Hit me up if you have any other questions, as I just had my fronts apart and resealed them.

Good luck!!!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Now is the time to switch to fox #whatareicons

#whatever

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Rick - there is a small allen-headed locking screw that you need to inspect to make sure it is still in there. It may have been forgotten upon assemble. If it's missing, that is what holds that cap in place AFTER it has been screwed tight. @Sano Dano is correct, you need to get that tightened up ASAP. Be careful when removing the shock, as removing that cap is the first step to disassembling the entire shock pack. You should be able to get the cap started BEFORE you droop the shock for removal to prevent any oil loss. You may want to get your pressure checked in that shock as well. I would definitely call Icon, or wherever you purchased the shock, and let them know about it as well. Hit me up if you have any other questions, as I just had my fronts apart and resealed them.

Good luck!!!

Called ICON. I got them from TMX. They are brand new (since Feb) and first time off-road. They said I should be able to screw it back on without dismantle and there is the one set screw. Todd at ICON said if the set screw is missing, he will send me one. Time to get busy and check it out before I have to go to work tomorrow....

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

More development. After taking a closer look, it appears the ring cap came completely off and as the shock has been compressing, it crushed one side into the threads, hence why its at an angle. There is only the one set screw and it is still there. Not sure what happened.

6a210372e58eee894f079e981d598568.jpg

d3b6438f55250d4fb3e6908cbdbd41b7.jpg

Raw Horsepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The used icons I bought had that problem on one off them. It got tweaked when bottomed out. DC Shock Service spotted it when I took them in for rebuild prior to install. Cap had to be replaced. My turn for Baja test.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Okay, it's gotten worse. I got the ring off but can't screw it back on due to the threads. Looked at the driver side while taking things apart. Looks like both shocks, the rings came off or were never installed correctly and ****** up both shock body threads. Both shocks need to be replaced. Scheduled to go to TRR next weekend, damn it.

This is the driver side. The other pictures were from the passenger side.

2e987e79b3a761748badd61eff8b9c56.jpg

2c53abb0433df690556fd879f53b683d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: