how can you tell if you have the stock tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raccol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recently acquired 2010 6.2 smells to be running a bit rich. The previous owner installed the Hennessey 475 package but the truck apparently didn't include the control unit when it was traded in. The dealer said they put on their machine to do a systems check because of the mods and all the readings were within 'spec' (whatever that means).

Anyway, is there a way to determine if the truck has the stock tune? I don't want to take back to the dealer complaining about running rich if it doesn't have the stock tune. Is there a way to return to stock tune? Do re-tunes have to be accomplished by the dealer? Do the tuner units include the normal stock tune of the unit for which they're designed?

Any help, advice, or recommendations would be appreciated.
TIA

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the hennessey 475 came with a tune. i know some dealers are considered "authorized" for hennessey parts, my old dealer tried to sell me one. if it was installed by the dealer itself they shoulda been the one to change the tune and i would assume (never know, so ask the service supervisor) they would be on the hook for it. feels like i said alot without saying much at all lol. but yes it should have had a changed tune with the 475 package.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its tough to know if there's a tune or not without access to Fords diagnostic computer. If you feel safe doing it, you could see if the speed limiters been removed. Stock the truck should shut down around 100mph. If you're able to go 100+, its still tuned. It should also shift firm with a tune, and might rev to red line in park or neutral. Stock will only rev to 3000 ish in park or neutral.

What's still left on it from the 475 package? If it still has the intake (with no tune) that could be skewing with the air/fuel ratio.

When a car/truck is tuned, the device downloads the stock manufacture tune before it uploads the new performance tune. At that point, the device is "married" to your vehicle, and worthless to try to use on any other vehicle. The devise must return the stock tune to the vehicle before its "divorced" and free to use on a different vehicle of the same make and model. So chances are, if the device is gone, the tune is out of the truck because no one wants to buy an sct handheld tuner thats pretty much worthless.

Scottysspeedshop

A.D.D. VelociRaptor 600 Owner
Reaction score
I can tell you if Hennessey installed the package they will have the programer. I had to ask for mine when I picked up my truck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottysspeedshop

A.D.D. VelociRaptor 600 Owner
Reaction score
That's not true mine won't rev past 3and has a tune for the supercharger. I would call Hennessey before I bought another tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I said....... "If you're able to go 100+, its still tuned. It should also shift firm with a tune, and might rev to red line in park or neutral. Stock will only rev to 3000 ish in park or neutral."

Some tuners disable the 3000 in park/neutral, and some don't.

Regardless, I'd shit can the hennescam tune and have 5 star do it. At least 5 star gives you the handled that YOU paid for.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something else to think about; even if it still has the hennessey tune in it, and hennessey is willing to fix the tune because the rich condition is concerning you, how the hell do they expect you to reflash the pcm with the corrected tune when they kept the hand held? Buy another hand held or drive out to their shop??? I doubt they still have the original sct hand held married to your truck laying around, and I really doubt they would hand it over to a second owner. I dunno about that place...