Horrible design flaw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I found out today, over night we had some light rain and turned into snow. Well, in front of the windshield is that black grate that runs the width. That filled with ice and snow over night, no big deal right? Wrong. Thats where the intake for the cabin vent system is. So I was driving and couldn't figure out why my window defroster wouldn't keep the fog off the windscreen. Turns out, it couldn't pull any air in. And you cant have the air on recirculate and defrost at the same time. I had to go back home and poor water all across that grate to melt it so my vents could allow air in. How did Ford not suspect that something as simple as rain and snow could block the air vents? I have never had an issue with this on any other vehicle.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found out today, over night we had some light rain and turned into snow. Well, in front of the windshield is that black grate that runs the width. That filled with ice and snow over night, no big deal right? Wrong. Thats where the intake for the cabin vent system is. So I was driving and couldn't figure out why my window defroster wouldn't keep the fog off the windscreen. Turns out, it couldn't pull any air in. And you cant have the air on recirculate and defrost at the same time. I had to go back home and poor water all across that grate to melt it so my vents could allow air in. How did Ford not suspect that something as simple as rain and snow could block the air vents? I have never had an issue with this on any other vehicle.

I wouldnt call it a design flaw... Where would you draw fresh air in from?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i don't think unless it's totally plugged it would make much of a difference? mine was packed with a couple inches of snow today and my defroster was crankin...did yours really stop blowing significantly?

OP
OP
whtrapta

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
ya, when i switched to the regular vents that blow from dash by the stereo and stuff, it was like being on speed 1, but the fan you could hear was maxed out. I was not happy.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
It has always been an issue with trucks. Snow is typically not a big deal but a bunch of ice will seal it tight. If you park outside you should throw a cover over the vents.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Hmmmm. That's rarely a problem out here in CA but I wonder if you could install a low voltage, moderate temperature heating element of some sort. I guess it could even be controlled by an aux switch.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Hmm - mines packed with ice (and has pretty much been that way since October) and I've never had a problem with heat, flow, defrost or fan speed. I leave it on auto all the time and never use recirc (I smoke). On days when I park at night while its snowing, I switch to defrost cuz the auto start remembers the setting and my windsheild is clear after 15-20 minutes of warming up.
I'd suggest getting it looked at next time you're in for service.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Oh hell - my old Bronco's did it. But none of the 98 - 2010 Fords I've owned have ever had that problem.