Holy Electrical Problems...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iateajeep78

Reaction score
2013 SCREW - 5-Star tune, 74600 miles. Don't post mostly, lurk for tips and tricks, etc.

Ok... So my rear drivers side door latch allegedly "went bad" and needs replaced. Service manager went and got a can of contact cleaner/lube and hosed the latch down to "temporarily fix the issue until we can get the part ordered in". That was yesterday. No issues the rest of the day. Ok.

Today, while driving, I went to hit the window lock button, and accidentally hit the door lock switch... Suddenly, the door locks unlocked and the hazard lights turned themselves on. WTF?.... turned the hazards off. Ok, no issues. eventually parked it, went in for a change of clothes to go to the gym. Come back out, try to remote start it and the alarm started going off. ???

Stopped the alarm, got in the truck, started it up, the door open alarm goes off again(smfh), and as I'm backing up, the back up sencors go off. Ok, np, they are prolly ice covered (I'm in NW Ohio). Go to put it in drive and WHAM!!!! Within seconds, damn near every alarm is going off, along with the hazards! All the doors were alarming as open, the parking brake alarm was alarming as though it was engaged, low tire pressure warning, "Shift into Park", ... What in the sam hell...? I am at a loss. Tried to call the dealership but the service department was already closed.

Since then I have tried to disconnect the battery and leave it set for 20min,... 45 min,... and finally for an hour. Every single time, I go to reconnect the battery, and as soon as I do the hazards are going off. And they cannot be turned off from inside the truck. The last time, I just said f@#$ it and walked away and hit the lock button on the fob.... Oddly, the hazards stopped, but... the interior lights stayed on as if a door was not closed. went and checked all of the doors. They were closed. The interior lights went off after about 20 min.... And now she sits...

I have had no issues other than having to have the steering wheel controls fixed (pinched wiring in steering column...??), the dreaded rear defrost shorting out and blowing up the rear window, and the sunroof replaced (wouldn't close on its own suddenly) . Thankfully all have been handled because I bought an ESP.

Anyone experienced anything like this at all? Have any insight? I looked at the wiring the best I could and everything appears to be ok... (nothing exposed or in contact with anything it shouldnt be)

Please help or guide me to where I can find it.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like my worst nightmare. All I can think of is the thick harness of wires under the driver's side near the frame rail could have gotten pinched or bunrt near the engine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the wires inside the rubber loom that goes between your door frame and door. You may have to cut some of the tape loose in order to see the broken ones but I'd bet that is what the issue is.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bet its a Body Control Module..

The Intermittent Operation of Electronic Components

Electronic components such as Exterior and Interior Lamps, Chime Warning, Courtesy Lamps, Dome Lamps, Door Ajar Status, Fog Lamps, Wiper Controls, Low and High Beam Head Lamps, Horn, Park Lamps, Central Locking, Horn Chirp, Instrumentation Lighting and Gauges, Speedometer, Odometer, Radio, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Radio functions etc. In certain instances, these items may not operate at all.

Security Function Errors

Security functions including Remote Keyless Entry (RKE), Vehicle Anti-Theft Security System (VTSS), Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS), (PASSKEY), issues typically are related to Body Control Module failure.

Check Engine Light (CEL) or Other Instrumentation Cluster Warning Lights

A malfunctioning BCM will activate dashboard instrumentation cluster error and warning lights. These lights may flash off and on if the BCM is not able to read the sensors correctly. Your vehicle performance may also be affected as the BCM communicates with other control modules in the vehicle

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just had my rear door latch (passenger side) replaced and experienced a lot, but not all of the same symptoms.

Basically the truck would think the door was open, so it would set off the alarm, the light wouldn't go out for 10 minutes - everything as if the door WAS open. It's a sensor, truck doesn't know the difference. I got it replaced and all was well.

All of the rest of that crazy crap wasn't happening, but it WAS pretty agonizing how much behavior is affected by a door sensor. I wouldn't be shocked if fixing it solved everything else somehow.

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Electronic components such as Exterior and Interior Lamps, Chime Warning, Courtesy Lamps, Dome Lamps, Door Ajar Status, Fog Lamps, Wiper Controls, Low and High Beam Head Lamps, Horn, Park Lamps, Central Locking, Horn Chirp, Instrumentation Lighting and Gauges, Speedometer, Odometer, Radio, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Radio functions etc. In certain instances, these items may not operate at all.

Security Function Errors

Security functions including Remote Keyless Entry (RKE), Vehicle Anti-Theft Security System (VTSS), Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS), (PASSKEY), issues typically are related to Body Control Module failure.

A malfunctioning BCM will activate dashboard instrumentation cluster error and warning lights. These lights may flash off and on if the BCM is not able to read the sensors correctly. Your vehicle performance may also be affected as the BCM communicates with other control modules in the vehicle

You may be right, but what better way to mimic some of those problems than to short wires out that go to the door switches, windows, speakers, and lock modules.

OP
OP
I

iateajeep78

Reaction score

Security Function Errors

It ended up being the BCM. Replaced under ESP and so was the rear left door latch assembly. Got it back this past Thursday and so far all is well.