Hill Descent Control Fault + Brake lights flickering = 3rd Tail Light Leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its been raining here the last few days and pretty much as soon as the truck got wet the "Hill Descent Control Fault" alert blew up on the dash (in my 2010 SCab Raptor), and the brake lights seemed to stop working. With the headlights off they'd work fine, but with the headlights on they'd stick on high regardless of brake pedal position. Also, I noticed once when you get out of the truck and close the door, the lights went batshit crazy flicking between dim and bright. FWIW this is the first time in 4 years I've had this problem.

I know the third brake light is an issue on these early Raptors in general, but when I pulled it off mine I didn't find any moisture behind it. However, there is definitely moisture in the housing and the left and middle LEDs are blown (only the right lights up).

Too early to tell but it looks like everything has returned to normal with the third tail light left unplugged and sitting on the shelf.

If I go buy a new third tail light, how confident should I be that the issue is solved? Is that a red herring? Should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I had a problem with mine a couple of years ago with the same thing. Mine is also a 2010.
I removed my light and sealed it around the back side with a clear silicone to stop any water from going back inside and have never had an issue again.
Knock on wood!

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Iron. Yeah I sealed mine too back in 2011 (think I did a writeup about it too?) and it sucked pulling that apart this morning. But like I mentioned it was bone dry inside the roof. However, the housing showed signs of moisture incursion (condensation) and I'm guessing those two LEDs being blown are because of water.

I guess my question is, could the water that blew the LEDs be causing all the other problems, and therefore will replacing the whole thing "fix" the issue? Or, am I chasing my tail and the problem is elsewhere?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think your on the right path. As this topic had been discuss over and over. In fact if you'd use the search feature you would know it!

I had mine replaced under warranty, right after I tinted it as well, but I digress. I was told that the sponge looking gasket was made larger to account for crushing and would seal better. I haven't had any water issues since.

Perhaps Kaiser can merge this thread with one of the many on this topic, lol

I kid I kid....
Welcome back J

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hah you *********.

For the record, I did search but didn't find anything that matched this specific situation. Lots of talk about water *behind* the light, but not necessarily about water *in* the light being the problem.

Of course, I am somewhat out of practice so maybe my search juju aint what it used to be ;)

IRONMAN

Reaction score
lol
Yeah there might have been a crack in the sealant you put on cause silicone does start to separate with time especially up in that light where sun is beating on it.
Or there might have been a small little tiny bit of dust that didn't allow the silicone to seal 100% and you know water will go through the tiniest crack.
I would replace the light but check to see if warranty will cover first if you have the extended.
Once those circuits get any kinda of water it's never good.
Shorts, shorts, and more shorts.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
10-4. I've got the truck in my shop with an industrial 30" fan blowing a mini tornado at the open hole for now. Any water that might be in there will be long gone in a few hours. At lunch I'll test drive and see what I see.

Thanks again guys.

14Raptor

Reaction score
When mine acted up on the 2010 it was moisture in the light housing, not in the hole in the cab. I disconnected the 3rd brake light and my other lights worked normally.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When mine acted up on the 2010 it was moisture in the light housing, not in the hole in the cab. I disconnected the 3rd brake light and my other lights worked normally.
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have read that brake light related issues are often the brake light switch.