High RPM in neutral and coasting down hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nicedrms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a weird thing happening, I like to put the truck in neutral when coasting down steep hills on the freeway and coming down mountain roads. When it is in neutral the rpm's will rise up to 1200 to 1500 even though I'm off the gas. The AC is off and there is no draw in the engine, there should be no reason for the high rpm's. Never had this happen on any other vehicle.

Anyone ever have this happen to there truck? Mine is a 2014 screw 7400 miles. No tune, stock intake with K and N filter, MBRP exhaust. Any ideas?

iown1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The computer matches your RPM to the speed so when you drop it in gear it will be a smooth power transition. Like blipping the throttle on gear changes. You should just leave it in gear and ride for free. When coasting the computer shuts off the fuel and uses the momentum of the truck to keep the engine turning. The longer you coast in gear the longer the free ride.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
In modern vehicles there is no need to coast in Neutral. The engine uses no gas at all when coming to a stop or coasting down a mountain unless you hit the gas a little.

OP
OP
N

Nicedrms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No shit??? Dam shows you how long it's been sense I've had a new truck.. Lol the old yoda would coast for miles in neutral.. Sucks though, this big ass truck won't coast for shit in gear, wants to slow down, lots of drag. Thanks for the heads up guys..

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Coasting or rolling any automatic transmission vehicle can result in transmission damage. Since the transmission relies on the pump turning and fluid flowing at a given speed, coasting can result in fluid starvation in parts of the transmission. To avoid damage never tow or coast an automatic transmission vehicle, only bad things can happen and nothing good will come of it....

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Coasting in a Yota sound like so much fun........................................NOT!