High Pressure Power Steering Line Leaking Already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FireLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took my raptor in yesterday to get it looked over before I travel 800 miles for holiday. 71k miles on mine. Same year 2011. Mine is seeping or leaking from the adapter where it goes in below the oil filter in your picture. Same general area as you show in your pic. 117.40 for part and 2 hours of labor. Truck was bought from original owner and serviced every 3k miles by him. Oil change isn't due until 74k,but ford said I was 1/4 quart low on oil. Ford tech said it could be problem down road,but said he's seen those parts leak or seep for years and nothing happens.

Sorry for the ramble,but seems like what you have and what I have could be issue or a weak area on these trucks. Truck goes in Friday. Does seem high price for little parts on these trucks. 60 ac vents that break easy,and 117 for a adapter. But,it is what it is I guess. Good luck on your fix.
Ya, I am going on a trip tomorrow am.. wasn't sure if it would be ok if I just topped her PS fluid res off with ATF and just keep an eye on it..

4x4juunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I blew mine on my 2013 at 32K. Tech says its a common thing on all F150's. Mine went out at the worst time possible. It cracked the **** on top of the steering rack where the High pressure line goes in from the pump. Thankfully I got the extended warranty. No charge for the fix however, I did have to drive 25 miles of trails without the assist. Pretty fun. Mine was not due to normal driving though, slammed into a rut crossing the trail at 60mph. Does anyone on here know anything about an upgrade to the steering rack that they come with?

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bumping this,

I did an oil change on mine last night at 42k, and saw it was leaking at the very same spot. I just did an oil change 4k miles ago at 38k and it was pristine down there. Called the dealer to see if it'd be covered under 5/60k powertrain and nope. Searching around on FRF seems it's a common thing around 40k-45k and yep, right on schedule LOL

PS res is only about 1/4" below min line, so it hasn't lost much, just enough to coat everything in the pics. Would like to fix it soon though before it makes a bigger mess or fully fails.

If anyone has confirmation of the correct PN for the replacement hose, and if anyone has any tips on replacement, I'd appreciate it! Didn't trace the line out while doing the oil change last night (since I was hoping it'd still be warrantied lol), but any heads up if it's a royal PITA or not would be helpful.

Here's another thread on the topic for anyone else searching it up down the road
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/power-steering-hose-fitting-leak-47336/#post999568

Attachments

• PS01.jpg
    PS01.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 111
  • PS02.jpg
    PS02.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 140
  • PS03.jpg
    PS03.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 192
  • PS04.jpg
    PS04.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 91
  • PS05.jpg
    PS05.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 114

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower Power steering hose leaking!

Mine is leaking now too at 36K miles, any suggestions on replacing the hose and bleeding the system . Just received new hose for $67.00 and ready to swap it out .

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R&R hose and bleed power steering system ?

Mine is leaking now too at 36K miles, any suggestions on replacing the hose and bleeding the system? . Just received new hose for $67.00 and ready to swap it out .

Anybody here ever bleed the Power Steering System ?

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R&R leaking Power steering hose?

Little surprised no one has any feedback on bleeding the Power Steering System ?

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is leaking now too at 36K miles, any suggestions on replacing the hose and bleeding the system . Just received new hose for $67.00 and ready to swap it out .

I don't get on here often, but here's my 2 cents on replacement, since I did end up swapping my hose out a few weeks after my last post with the pics of it leaking.

Do it when you're doing an oil change, and get a deep 14mm allen wrench. After you remove the oil filter, you can stick the 14mm allen inside the threaded stud that the filter would screw onto, and you can unthread it to remove the oil cooler. The coolant lines can stay hooked up to the cooler, you can pull it out of the way to make room. This gives you MUCH easier access to the PS pump for the PS line. Hose replacement was straightforward from there. Just getting the oil cooler adaptor out of the way makes things MUCH easier. Little bit of a cramped area to work, but nothing super tricky about it.

As for bleeding, I had to start the truck a couple times and shut it right off, to purge any air out or it would foam up as it sucked it down to re-fill the new hose. Made a little noise for a few miles, I would just top it off a tiny bit each day until it stopped making noise and was at the fill indication line. Turning lock to lock helped purge things out.

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got Hosed !

I don't get on here often, but here's my 2 cents on replacement, since I did end up swapping my hose out a few weeks after my last post with the pics of it leaking.

Do it when you're doing an oil change, and get a deep 14mm allen wrench. After you remove the oil filter, you can stick the 14mm allen inside the threaded stud that the filter would screw onto, and you can unthread it to remove the oil cooler. The coolant lines can stay hooked up to the cooler, you can pull it out of the way to make room. This gives you MUCH easier access to the PS pump for the PS line. Hose replacement was straightforward from there. Just getting the oil cooler adaptor out of the way makes things MUCH easier. Little bit of a cramped area to work, but nothing super tricky about it.

As for bleeding, I had to start the truck a couple times and shut it right off, to purge any air out or it would foam up as it sucked it down to re-fill the new hose. Made a little noise for a few miles, I would just top it off a tiny bit each day until it stopped making noise and was at the fill indication line. Turning lock to lock helped purge things out.

Nice of you to reply , thank you for the tips ! I will scope it out on my next lof job. Does your new hose weep as well ? I heard some new ones are still leaking after being swapped out .

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm at 50k now so I'll be doing an oil change once the weather clears up and I'll see then. I did the hose around 46k miles. Hopefully it's not leaking I"ll be pissed lol