GEN 1 Help front end knock when turning wheel!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorJet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 2013 with 41k on it I bought it used with 33,000. The past two days I discovered a knock in the front end when turning the wheel left or right. It sounds like the lower steering linkage to me, but I just want you guys to confirm. Is this normal for this to happen so soon? What causes this? Here is a video of said noise. https://vimeo.com/174691743

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wtf??? Explain how you got it to make that noise please. That's with the engine off isn't it?

OP
OP
RaptorJet

RaptorJet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES THAT IS WITH THE TRUCK OFF WITH ME SHAKING THE STEERING WHEEL FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. IT MAKES THE SAME NOISE WITH THE TRUCK ON, JUST HARDER TO HEAR AND LESS LOUD BECAUSE THE POWER STEERING IS ACTIVE AND MOTOR IS ON. YOU CAN FEEL THE CLUNKS THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL, AND SLIGHTLY HEAR THEM WHEN DRIVING. I TRIED RESEARCHING LAST NIGHT, AND IT SEEMS THAT THIS LOWER STEERING LINKAGE U JOINT IS A COMMON THING ON F150s. I HOPE IT IS JUST THAT, ANY STEERING PART IS COVERED UNDER POWER TRAIN. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO GET IT LOOKED AT MONDAY MORNING.

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely steering rack mine sounds about same. I have 35k km with mine so you did get lot further with yours.

OP
OP
RaptorJet

RaptorJet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What causes this to go bad so quickly? 35-40k seems a little low for the whole steering rack to be gone. no? There is no driveability issues, no loss of power steering or anything. I wonder what the source is.