Heat smells like coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingRoman

Reaction score
Heat smells like coolant, no leaks hitting the garage floor. Nothing loose as far as I can see. What are the odds of Ford covering it if its the heater core? 2013 with 37k miles on it.....surely the heater core shouldn't be ******** out this early?

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat smells like coolant, no leaks hitting the garage floor. Nothing loose as far as I can see. What are the odds of Ford covering it if its the heater core? 2013 with 37k miles on it.....surely the heater core shouldn't be ******** out this early?

Yes . Most likely a heater core and chances of Ford covering it is roughly 0%.

Glenbartley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or also shows as a film on the inside of your windshield.

Definitely will cause film on the window in defrost mode. Good advice.
The smell is inside so is the leak. But put it on the air recycle mode and max the heat to make sure its inside. There is a small chance its from outside. That would be an easyer fix though.
I had a coolant smell in my lightning it was an outside heater hose pin hole. Dripped on the header and evaporated instantly. Hard to find. But had one in my jeep and it was the heater core. Wet carpet.

Chances are its inside but figure out if its inside or outside first. Then track it from there.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
These things can be a ***** to replace.

I will echo the previous posters about the leak, wet carpet and windshield obscurity.

I had this happen to me in a ’92 Exploder, on a day when the temp outside was 0F ( that is not hexadecimal ), and it turned my windshield opaque. I couldn’t use heat or defrost or I couldn’t see, and I could only go a few blocks at a time when the heat was off! When I got to work I called my buddy who worked at a dealer. He shoehorned me in that evening but I had to schlepp 20 -very- cold miles very slowly to get there. That really sucked. Get it fixed now, before it gets worse.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Might as well get your ducks in a row, get the part, and set aside a weekend to replace it.