Hard shifts on cold start most mornings....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sca1pel

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else has been having problems with hard shifts when using their truck after being idle for a while... I checked everything and I can't seem to find a solution. I'm at 33k on a 2010, is it time for a transmision flush?

GitErDunn

2010 6.2L SCAB
Reaction score
My valve body went in my tranny at 30 or 40km, issue was it was jerking while shifting gears/reving high then would engage the next gear. It was fine for awhile after that but now i think I am slowly getting it back. I now have 66000km on it and mine is a 2010 scab. Might be worth getting the valve body looked into, little over $1000 part if not under warranty but should be, mine was.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been experiencing similar hard shifts during cold start ups. I storta blew it off really not paying much mind. Then today it was slightly colder than usual and the trans slipped really bad trying to go through an intersection a couple blocks from the house. Once it's warmed up, the truck runs fine.

Anyhow, it's a 2010/6.2L w/63,000. I dropped it off at the dealership this afternoon so they can check it out in the morning. I hope it's nothing they can't fix in a day because I've got a Boy Scout camping trip this weekend.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine seems to be slipping and or hunting for gears with only 5600 miles on the odometer, has never done this before?

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I got the call from Ford and the trans checked out okay, no codes etc. They said a boot on the Yoke was bad and causing issues? So what is a boot on the Yoke? Is this the seal on the tail end of the transmission designed to stop leakage around the yoke?

Anyhow, their going to fix that and I'm also having them drop the pan and replace the filter. So hopefully I'll have it running good as new and in time for this weekends camping trip.

Black Lab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the recommended "break -in" period for the engine/ transmission?

Reason I ask is b/c I'm getting a 2014 out of FL, but plan to drive it home to CT? I was talking w/ a guy who said you're not supposed to hit highway speeds for a prolonged ride until you log at least 250 miles of stop & go type driving. That it can seriously screw up the transmission. I haven't heard anyone else say this so I'm thinking is BS but I'd rather be safe than stuck...:killer:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the recommended "break -in" period for the engine/ transmission?

Reason I ask is b/c I'm getting a 2014 out of FL, but plan to drive it home to CT? I was talking w/ a guy who said you're not supposed to hit highway speeds for a prolonged ride until you log at least 250 miles of stop & go type driving. That it can seriously screw up the transmission. I haven't heard anyone else say this so I'm thinking is BS but I'd rather be safe than stuck...:killer:

All you need to do is not drive the same speed for the first 1000 miles. SO dont pick up the truck, hit the highway get up to 70mph, set the cruise and go. Drive it at 60 first then go to 65 then 55 then 75 then 80 then 40 you get the idea?
No way would any auto manufacturer sell a vehicle that you couldnt take it and go somewhere.
Hope this helps ya...

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Drive your new vehicle at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before towing a
trailer. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to
Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the
Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil
usage.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well hell, I got my truck out of the shop and it did good for about a week. Then it started hard shifting on cold starts again. I've been to busy dealing with work and the holidays to call Ford about it. Well, this morning I went to jump in the truck and there was about a quart of trans fluid spilled out on the drive way :wtf:

I've got an appointment to check it out tomorrow. Hopefully it some pan screw needs tightening.