GEN 1 Hard 1-2 shift ONLY at Low speed, Low Throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lumadar

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got a 2012 Raptor with 64,000 miles and after driving it for a couple of days in stop and go traffic I have noticed that when I am creeping along sub 10 MPH (maybe 5 ish) and lightly throttle it, the truck shifts into second as it progresses and every single time it is slightly jarring and overly firm.

Oddly, when I drive it with moderate throttle on a more open road it seems fine.

Is this something that could be related to bad transmission fluid, or something else?

(Thanks in advance for your help, and yes, I did try searching!)

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the cables off the battery and let it set for about 30 minutes. The trans learns how you drive so it might have the trans learned from the previous owner. Letting the computer sit without power clears and resets the learn process.

78 DESERT RAT

Reaction score
I've had the same issue with my truck since I've owned it. Dealer did a transmission recalibration at one point but it didn't fix the problem. I just know I cant get into the throttle hard at that speed unless I'm in manual mode then it doesn't happen.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had the same issue with my truck since I've owned it. Dealer did a transmission recalibration at one point but it didn't fix the problem. I just know I cant get into the throttle hard at that speed unless I'm in manual mode then it doesn't happen.

There is no such thing, all they did is a battery disconnect! trust me on this.
Did they do a PCM reflash highly unlikely, it cost the dealer money unless they were able to get Ford to warranty it.

I would check the battery, low voltage can cause that. As well as corroded connections to the tranny.

Last edited:

78 DESERT RAT

Reaction score
The mechanic sat in the front seat with a laptop hooked up to the truck for 30min running different computer programs said he was re setting the transmission computer. I was there the whole time and I never saw him disconnect the battery.

OP
OP
Lumadar

Lumadar

Reaction score
I put a brand new battery in the truck two weeks ago - no change. I find myself accelerating harder to avoid it. Kind of annoying.

I wonder if an aftermarket tune could address this? If so, probably wouldn't cost all that much more to get a tune than just get it re-calibrated at a dealership.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The mechanic sat in the front seat with a laptop hooked up to the truck for 30min running different computer programs said he was re setting the transmission computer. I was there the whole time and I never saw him disconnect the battery.
trust me they did...it was the second guy who did it while the first one was putting up Emmy Award show with a dummy laptop. :crazy: