Grinding noise when accelerating out of a corner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had some fun in the Raptor this weekend, burned a whole tank of gas exploring new areas around Julian, CA. No real offroading just dirt roads at reasonable speeds. Truck was great, the suspension is amazing!

Anyway, on to the problem. Driving up a steep grade, paved road, with a lot of curves/twists/switchbacks or whatever you call them. Consistently when accelerating out of the corners there was a brief grinding/scraping sound whenever the transmission would down shift. I havent been able to reproduce it on flat city streets, but if I can get it on some curvy roads, it seems pretty consistent.

Any idea what this could be?

I have never had good luck with dealers before, but I plan to take the bull by the horns with this one, I want to find a curvy up hill road near the dealership (El Cajon Ford) and make the tech ride along with me to reproduce the sound. Hopefully they are cool about it.

Edit: forgot to mention. Bone stock '14 SCREW with less than 7k miles.

OP
OP
mikehoncho88

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp.

It's not going well right now. Need some help here guys.

Went to El Cajon Ford. They didn't really want to look at the truck (long story). So I decided to go to their competitor in La Mesa, CA, Drew Ford.

Brought it in to them today. Took the tech on a ride, and he definitely heard the noise. grinding from under the truck, during downshifts. He thought it sounded like the "transmission or transfer case" Left it with them for further diagnosis.

OK I'm feeling good at this point, like progress is being made. Then I get a voicemail from the service manager, that blew my mind, defied all logic, and destroyed all hope of getting this problem taken care of in a reasonable, professional, manner.

"The tech took another ride in your truck, and determined the noise is coming from your muffler. That is aftermarket and not covered under warranty."

Just to keep the facts in play, I have a Magnaflow muffler that was installed by a professional exhaust shop. Everything else is stock. I never in my life heard of service being denied because of a muffler.

Also, to keep the facts in play, the noise is coming from the front/midsection of the truck, not the back. I just don't see any possible way a muffler could cause a rattle like that, and even if it did, wouldn't it be more constant, not just when downshifting?

My head is spinning, all my worst fears and horror stories I have heard about Ford are coming true.

Any advice here guys? Any help?

Does anyone have a stock catback I can borrow (or buy) to prove these guys wrong (or right, but I doubt it.) once and for all?

#needhelp #nomods #MossMagnuson #Lawyerup #fightingitalltheway

:flipthebird: Ford

D

Deleted member 12951

That is crazy. I kept my stock for this very reason, it can be switched out in about 30min.

Maybe put a gopro under there to prove the muffler isn't grinding. Or just remove the catback and take a quick run and see if the noise is still there or not

OP
OP
mikehoncho88

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is crazy. I kept my stock for this very reason, it can be switched out in about 30min.

Maybe put a gopro under there to prove the muffler isn't grinding. Or just remove the catback and take a quick run and see if the noise is still there or not

I'm going to try and hustle up a stock catback. I don't like the magnaflow that much anyway. I hope it doesn't come down to making gopro videos. But I am pissed beyond belief and capable of anything when properly motivated. :)

Random question:

Will a catback from a SCAB fit a SCREW if I still have the stock resonator section?

mike.s

Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. If it was your muffler, then why would it only happen when accelerating out of a corner vs accelerating straight?

Edit: Damn this is a year old.