Grinding noise

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I am not sure if this is the dreaded IWE problem so soon but I am hearing what sounds like scratching or grinding noise. It doesn't happen right away, seems to be about a minute or two after I start going down the road and only last for about 30 seconds then stops. It seems like I never hear it again, even if driving for hours until I stop and turn the key off and start again. Here is a sound clip. Its hard to hear but sounds really loud when you are driving.

I thought the IWE issue sound last the entire time and doesn't stop only after 30 seconds?

What should I do?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=99388907B6370B2!19138&authkey=!ABOAkzyPEvXu9Ok&ithint=file,m4a

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

wow doesnt your truck have under 10k on it?

And on that sound clip, I started the recording when I heard it so missed the first part. The last 2 seconds of the clip is when it stopped, a lot more quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Take it in for warranty. Tell them to check the vacuum lines and the vacuum solenoid. If they are bad, them you probably need new IWEs as well since they are wearing.

Yukon Joe
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

Really, so that is about all it can be?
I was wanting to drive around for a week with all the caked on mud (especially underneath) but sounds like I have to clean it up a lot sooner now. Not looking forward to cleaning the hard mud and taking it in for warranty work for the first time. Damn it....

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Well it does appear to be what you said @Yukon Joe. It didn't make a noise all day until tonight. As soon as I heard it, I switched to 4H and the noise stopped immediately then when I switched back to 2WD, the noise immediately came back. Shit. Time to make an appointment.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well it does appear to be what you said @Yukon Joe. It didn't make a noise all day until tonight. As soon as I heard it, I switched to 4H and the noise stopped immediately then when I switched back to 2WD, the noise immediately came back...

Let me know if you'd like me to push this up the line to your regional customer service manager, RDFTS. All I'll need to make that happen is a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
RDFTS .. I am curious .. when you shift into 4wd do you do it on the fly? Or do you come to a complete stop and then shift and then slowly drive it?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

RDFTS .. I am curious .. when you shift into 4wd do you do it on the fly? Or do you come to a complete stop and then shift and then slowly drive it?

When off-roading (on dirt), I put it into off-road mode, press Advance traction to Sport mode, switch to 4H with a slight roll otherwise it prompts you and then lock the diffs.

When this grinding is happening, I am usually going around 30-40mph and yes, I am doing it on the fly at that speed just to hear if the noise stops or not and it is on pavement but I don't leave it in 4H very long, more for attempting to diagnose what is wrong.

Why, am I doing something incorrectly?