Gen 2 2018 Transmission Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04cobraboy

Reaction score
This is my first post on this site as a member as I just got my raptor a few days ago, only has 120 miles on it. While driving around with my friend on the first day I heard a noise coming from what seemed like the front passenger side wheel area. It sounded like a ticking or clicking noise, not the same as a valve issue in a head, but less audible(I can turn the radio up slightly and drown it out no problem, even without radio you have to listen for the sound, but can clearly hear it), it sounds like a rock is stuck in the tire is probably the best way to describe it and it increases with drivetrain and wheel rotation(speed), but no change with engine RPM. I thought a small rock got caught in between the tread. Got home and saw nothing. Drove it the next day to work and heard the same thing again. Once I got home I investigated it more, got under the truck and looked for something hanging, rubbing the wheel, something on the brakes, cv axle, driveshaft, I looked everywhere possible basically. I took my room mate for a ride who is also mechanically inclined like me and he said ya definitely something going on down there and we both agreed it got louder while we were trying to drive around and figure it out. I put it in 4H and the sound didn't really seem to change, if anything it was less noticeable honestly. It is most audible at 30-40mph and I notice when you take the truck out of drive and into neutral the sound immediately stops, which tells me its something transmission related. I read some of the 2015 F-150's had transfer case issues and had the transfer case removed and they describe almost the same noise except say its between 20-50mph. Just seeing if anyone else has had this issue. I'm pretty upset, brand new freaking truck at 100 miles and already taking it in for service to get looked at, especially disappointing on a specialty vehicle like the Raptor. Thanks for any replies in advanced.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This is my first post on this site as a member as I just got my raptor a few days ago, only has 120 miles on it. While driving around with my friend on the first day I heard a noise coming from what seemed like the front passenger side wheel area. It sounded like a ticking or clicking noise, not the same as a valve issue in a head, but less audible(I can turn the radio up slightly and drown it out no problem, even without radio you have to listen for the sound, but can clearly hear it), it sounds like a rock is stuck in the tire is probably the best way to describe it and it increases with drivetrain and wheel rotation(speed), but no change with engine RPM. I thought a small rock got caught in between the tread. Got home and saw nothing. Drove it the next day to work and heard the same thing again. Once I got home I investigated it more, got under the truck and looked for something hanging, rubbing the wheel, something on the brakes, cv axle, driveshaft, I looked everywhere possible basically. I took my room mate for a ride who is also mechanically inclined like me and he said ya definitely something going on down there and we both agreed it got louder while we were trying to drive around and figure it out. I put it in 4H and the sound didn't really seem to change, if anything it was less noticeable honestly. It is most audible at 30-40mph and I notice when you take the truck out of drive and into neutral the sound immediately stops, which tells me its something transmission related. I read some of the 2015 F-150's had transfer case issues and had the transfer case removed and they describe almost the same noise except say its between 20-50mph. Just seeing if anyone else has had this issue. I'm pretty upset, brand new freaking truck at 100 miles and already taking it in for service to get looked at, especially disappointing on a specialty vehicle like the Raptor. Thanks for any replies in advanced.

I feel for you. If you can, it wouldn’t hurt if you could get some video illustrating the noise. In cabin would be good, but if you could mount a go-pro or similar external to see if you can isolate what you’re hearing, it may help. One major league problem with this truck is the lack of complete understanding of troubleshooting it - base f150 all the way through Raptor and there have been some users here who had to fight recalcitrant service departments.

good luck!

OP
OP

04cobraboy

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses guys. Ya I was thinking about putting a GoPro under there somewhere. I don't think you'd really be able to pick up the sound clearly with a video recording inside the cabin, of course human ear is always superior.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

That's what the warranty is for. Hopefully they fix it in one shot

That's never the case lol.

SCrewLeadFoot

Reaction score
Just had the same problem on my gen 2 last week. Took it to the dealership and it turns out it was a check valve. Warranty should cover it with a whopping price to fix of $9.45

Part Number FL3Z-3A788-A

Best of luck!

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Does it sound like this?

I just discovered a leak in my transfer case rear shaft seal. Noise developed about 500 miles ago, and I'm pretty certain the leak started about that time too. At the dealer now.

Reaction score
What was the trouble code on your scanningtool saying? Or how did you diagnose?

Just had the same problem on my gen 2 last week. Took it to the dealership and it turns out it was a check valve. Warranty should cover it with a whopping price to fix of $9.45

Part Number FL3Z-3A788-A

Best of luck!

OP
OP

04cobraboy

Reaction score
Still makes the noise... I just turn the radio up. It’s most noticeable at 30ish mph. Never took it to dealer. To be honest with most of you I feel like more damage is done than corrected at any dealer and the noise/truck hasn’t given me any problems.