Front end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorguy21

The Bob Vila of Trucks
Reaction score
Only negative noise I've ever had is squealing brakes. Dealer keeps replacing my pads with "upgraded" or "better" ones. Think it may be ok now, but this time they said if it starts squealing again they will warranty a full rotor replacement, etc.

Bo I suggest if your next time to the dealer doesn't fix it, we order you some cross drilled and slotted rotors and better aftermarket brake pads and just get it over with........warranty doesn't mean shit if they keep putting shit parts on it

My noise is definately not shocks. I ignore that noise.
I broke something - and I'll let y'all know what it was once Ford finds out and fixes it.

You find out anything?

maps928

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, I have a 2010 6.2 and have a noise in the front as well.
Has anyone taken theres to the dealer??? also I have play in the wipers? Any info
one regarding that?

I have a 2011 Raptor SuperCrew and have this noise in the right front suspension that drives me crazy. I have had it back to the dealer 5 times and after my last visit they couldn't fix it and handed me the BS about it being the noise from the hydraulic fluid in the shocks and the engineers say it is normal. Well I too am an engineer and anyone who thinks this noise is normal is an idiot! It sounds like metal suspension parts are loose such as a shock mount. And if it is from the Shocks then it is a design flaw - I can hardly imagine the engineers intended for the Shocks to make this kind of noise and on a
$50K vehicle it s completely unacceptable! This is my 4th F150 AND IF THEY DON'T FIX THIS PROBLEM, IT WILL BE MY LAST!

Last edited:

maps928

Reaction score
Yep that is the party line BS from Ford. I got one just like it. AND it is still bull for a $50k vehicle rattling around like mine does.

You are not alone brother! My Raptor makes this same noise and it drives me crazy. The Raptor is supposed to be the badest F150 ever built and mine sounds like a rattle trap driving down the road. The worst part is that I sold my 2002 F150 FX4 Super Crew with 100,000 miles on it and it didn't make a sound going over bumps. This thing sounds like the front end is falling apart......Can;t imagine what it would sound like if I went off road.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Bo I suggest if your next time to the dealer doesn't fix it, we order you some cross drilled and slotted rotors and better aftermarket brake pads and just get it over with........warranty doesn't mean shit if they keep putting shit parts on it

You find out anything?

No I didn't, although my Ford tech and I did some touring and he heard the problem. After replacing the Hub assembly, and the solenoid which engages 4wd, I still have a clunk that sounds like a stripped hub on the front left. NV Guy can attest, as it made us both wince when I was playin in the desert with him.

I like my Ford Tech guy - as we both heard it, he said basically "go out and break it for real so I can put new parts in"!! Gotta love it.

maps928

Reaction score
I just wanted to clarify things for people that might think the shock noise over bumps isn't a normal condition. I got the Special service message (SMM) hope this helps out.

21667 SVT RAPTOR - SHOCK ABSORBER NOISE OVER BUMPS
2010-2011 F-150 SVT RAPTOR VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH UNIQUE HIGH-PERFORMANCE FOX SHOCK ABSORBERS DESIGNED FOR SEVERE OFF-ROAD USE. SOME CUSTOMERS MAY BE CONCERNED WITH BOOM, CHIRP OR CLUNK NOISES FROM THE FRONT OR REAR SHOCK ABSORBERS MOST OFTEN HEARD OVER SMALL, SHARP BUMPS IN THE ROAD SUCH AS FROST HEAVES, POTHOLES, OR EXPANSION JOINTS. THIS IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC ORIGINATING FROM THE HYDRAULIC MOTION OF THE FLUID AND INHERENT TO THE UNIQUE DESIGN OF THE SHOCK ABSORBERS. IT IS NOT CAUSED BY CONTACT OF ANY SUSPENSION COMPONENTS, NOR WILL THIS CONDITION HAVE ANY DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON THE LIFE OF THE SHOCK ABSORBERS OR SUSPENSION. DO NOT ATTEMPT SERVICE TO CORRECT THIS NORMAL CONDITION.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 01/07/2011

As a Senior Master Tech for Ford, I am sure you are not really buying into this nonsense. Do you really think this is normal?? That would mean that the result of the shocks making this noise was intended. So I suppose a bunch of Ford Engineers sat around brainstorming and detrmined that the shocks they would use on the Raptor needed to make clunking, rumbling and chirping noises every time they went over a bump....I highly doubt it. If it is the hydraulic fluid flowing through the shocks that makes this noise, then Ford should acknowledge that they have a design flaw and have selected the wrong shocks and they need to step up and do the right thing which is to replace them with shocks that don't have this problem.
To expect loyal Ford owners to accept that their $50K Raptor clunks, rumbles and chirps when you go over a bump in the road is RIDICULOUS and a disgrace for an otherwise reputable company. The Raptor is supposed to be the biggest and badest F150 ever made and for such a vehicle this problem should be corrected immediately....and as a Senior Master Technician, you know I'm right!

Last edited:

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
As a Senior Master Tech for Ford, I am sure you are not really buying into this nonsense. Do you really think this is normal?? That would mean that the result of the shocks making this noise was intended. So I suppose a bunch of Ford Engineers sat around brainstorming and detrmined that the shocks they would use on the Raptor needed to make clunking, rumbling and chirping noises every time they went over a bump....I highly doubt it. If it is the hydraulic fluid flowing through the shocks that makes this noise, then Ford should acknowledge that they have a design flaw and have selected the wrong shocks and they need to step up and do the right thing which is to replace them with shocks that don't have this problem.
To expect loyal Ford owners to accept that their $50K Raptor clunks, rumbles and chirps when you go over a bump in the road is RIDICULOUS and a disgrace for an otherwise reputable company. The Raptor is supposed to be the biggest and badest F150 ever made and for such a vehicle this problem should be corrected immediately....and as a Senior Master Technician, you know I'm right!

3 post's and all they are is "whaa-whaa-whaa, my $50k F150 is a pos and Ford is wrong and I'm right"......chill out man, it's not as bad as it seems. I'm not starting shit, just sayin'. Now, as for the shocks, YES, the noises that these triple bypass shocks make IS NORMAL. This is not a design issue with Ford (what is with this idea lately?), it's just the way these shocks from FOX are made. They would do it no matter what vehicle they were mounted on. That TSB about the shocks stems from when the Raptor first appeared and customers wondered what that noise was. As far as things you could look at, control arm bolts would be a good start. Is the noise while going over bumps straight on or at an angle? Don't just look at nuts and bolts, put a wrench on them to see if there is any signs of being loose. You could also put a pry bar on components and see if they move, it sometimes helps to have that area unloaded though by jacking the truck up. Another thing you could look at is the skid plate bolts.......I had two of mine break (the nuts that are welded into place broke) and it would allow for the skid plate to move just enough to make an annoying popping noise. One other thing to consider would be the jounce bumpers at the top of the shock shaft, on the inside of the spring.....there was a tsb about a metal popping noise on Fusions and their Mercury counter-parts for them. S197 Mustangs would make a noise from the upper strut bearing assembly. These are just some of the things that have shown in the past but could possibly be issues here as well. I know it's annoying to you to have this noise but please just try and remember that you're still driving the most capable production 1/2 ton ever and enjoy it:waytogo:

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I whined and ******* about my front end noise. Turned out, it was my POS rigid lights getting slapped by the front bumper over bumps. I was ********* of the day at my dealership. They accepted my huge apology though. Do you have rigids?

maps928

Reaction score
I had the clunk/rattle in the right front (could even feel it in the gas peddle) had both shocks replaced and now, for about 2,200 miles no noise, all good so far

Did the dealer replace the shocks under warranty or did you do it on your own?

maps928

Reaction score
3 post's and all they are is "whaa-whaa-whaa, my $50k F150 is a pos and Ford is wrong and I'm right"......chill out man, it's not as bad as it seems. I'm not starting shit, just sayin'. Now, as for the shocks, YES, the noises that these triple bypass shocks make IS NORMAL. This is not a design issue with Ford (what is with this idea lately?), it's just the way these shocks from FOX are made. They would do it no matter what vehicle they were mounted on. That TSB about the shocks stems from when the Raptor first appeared and customers wondered what that noise was. As far as things you could look at, control arm bolts would be a good start. Is the noise while going over bumps straight on or at an angle? Don't just look at nuts and bolts, put a wrench on them to see if there is any signs of being loose. You could also put a pry bar on components and see if they move, it sometimes helps to have that area unloaded though by jacking the truck up. Another thing you could look at is the skid plate bolts.......I had two of mine break (the nuts that are welded into place broke) and it would allow for the skid plate to move just enough to make an annoying popping noise. One other thing to consider would be the jounce bumpers at the top of the shock shaft, on the inside of the spring.....there was a tsb about a metal popping noise on Fusions and their Mercury counter-parts for them. S197 Mustangs would make a noise from the upper strut bearing assembly. These are just some of the things that have shown in the past but could possibly be issues here as well. I know it's annoying to you to have this noise but please just try and remember that you're still driving the most capable production 1/2 ton ever and enjoy it:waytogo:

I;m not trying to start shit either it is just very frustrating . I hear what you are sayiong about the shocks but the noise I hear sounds like something is loose and not like fluid flow. Problem now is that Frod won't touch it because the TSB says do not service and I am convinced this is more than shocks. I could check the points you mention but should I have to? Any suggections?

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I;m not trying to start shit either it is just very frustrating . I hear what you are sayiong about the shocks but the noise I hear sounds like something is loose and not like fluid flow. Problem now is that Frod won't touch it because the TSB says do not service and I am convinced this is more than shocks. I could check the points you mention but should I have to? Any suggections?

It's all good man, like I said, I understand your frustration. And no, YOU shouldn't have to check out your vehicle for this noise......doing your own preventative maintenance and checking things over is one thing, but a noise or something that doesn't seem right should be a tech's job to find, especially under warranty. Unfortunately, there are dealerships (form any manufacturer) that have tech's that will only do the minimum and just call it a "no problem found" or chalk it up to a tsb that may or may not be the cause. I suggested these items to look at because they are something you could go and do yourself. If there's a certain area or time that this happens, say a particular bump on the road, pulling into the driveway or whatever, have someone stand there and see if they can hear it or see something. Again, not neccessarily something you should have to do but, it could help.