GEN 1 Front end clunk RH off camber only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I'm getting a hefty clunk from the front end on full lock right hand off camber corners, was trying to reproduce with the GoPro on tonight but it died before I managed to record it.

Figured I'd pull the rack boot to check the inner tie rod end and it was fine, however there is significant slop in the rack bushings anyone know if this is normal?

https://vimeo.com/173703495

I'll try and reproduce it again tomorrow when I go to a spot that is private that I know I can reproduce it on where I don't have to worry about traffic.

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that same play on driver side too. Also have clunk coming from front end almost every bump or when coming to stop and taking off. I haven't found anything else from other parts that are not working as should. Only that same play that you have on steering rack bushings. I can feel my clunk on steering wheel too, which led me to conclusion that its coming from steering rack.
Interested to know what you find that to be.
If i find some time today to get video from my rack, I'll post it here.

Well play is now lot more than it was sometime a go, it was pretty much same as yours. Here is the video and sorry about kids screaming background

Last edited:
OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good news I found the clunk, more good news it wasn't come from the front end at all. Bad news there is going to be some fairly serious surgery to fix it. Looks like it's going to be a long night Tuesday, have to drop the gas tank to get in here and weld on some new plate to fix the ovaled out holes.

ac27d28381df29a3232d8caabc0e6da4.jpg

3ef1f957f869e3136d3bf41f9fa84333.jpg

d538042031c7c05528b2329cf8eedc77.jpg

For those that haven't worked it out yet that is the front drivers side mount for the rear leaf spring and it's pretty much trashed!

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
New part arrived today, dropped the fuel tank and plasma cut off the old one then welded in the new one. Good as new.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem happen to mine. Every little bump or driveway and I could hear a clunk which sounded like it was from the front. I ended up welding a grade 10 washer on each side of the holes to fix mine. Glad you got yours all fixed up!!