Factory HID lights no high's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitvpr

Reaction score
I have a 2012 screw with factory HID headlights but the high beams don't work, is this normal or possible electrical issue?
The high beam indicator on the dash does turn on but the lights go out completely. :mad:

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could also be as simple as the connector between the main harness and the conversion. The pins on the latter sometimes push out when hooking them up and give this result. Start your investigations at that connector - loose terminal or corrosion might be prime suspects

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started having the same issues recently. I have retrofits and the high beams worked originally but now don't. I checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. Guess I'll check the connections but don't see how that could be the issue since they previously worked.

OP
OP
pitvpr

pitvpr

Reaction score
Well turns out you guys are right, these are NOT factory HID's. The day after an offloading trip I have ZERO headlights, so I did some more digging and I see the very well hidden wiring that I had missed before.
Im assuming the ballast was probably going out, and either my offloading trip killed 'em or they were going to go out anyway. I was able to get the lights to work once or twice by shaking the headlight housing, so I'm thinking the bulbs/ballast are shot?

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar issue, no highs or no lights at all on one side, about 8 months after I put factory HIDs on my '11. Turned out to be a corroded pin on the aftermarket harness where it connects to the factory wiring. Cut off the plugs, spliced everything directly and all good for a few years now.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well turns out you guys are right, these are NOT factory HID's. The day after an offloading trip I have ZERO headlights, so I did some more digging and I see the very well hidden wiring that I had missed before.
Im assuming the ballast was probably going out, and either my offloading trip killed 'em or they were going to go out anyway. I was able to get the lights to work once or twice by shaking the headlight housing, so I'm thinking the bulbs/ballast are shot?

Again that sounds more like a bad connection. Shaking wont resurrect a ballast or a bulb

OP
OP
pitvpr

pitvpr

Reaction score
Again that sounds more like a bad connection. Shaking wont resurrect a ballast or a bulb

That's probably true, also it's odd that when I tugged on the wiring both lights turned on, then went off again, I'm assuming that both lights won't go on and off again if it's a bulb or ballast issue.

I'll have to dig in there this weekend and see what I find.

Seems like such a waste to have an a reliable light source replaced with something that offers very little performance improvement.