Exhaust leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an exhaust leak somewhere in my system. It's driving me nucking futz! I may have done some damage while at the dunes being high centered front and rear. The exhaust tips at one point were completely buried under the sand. I broke two of the exhaust hangers. I have three inch from the cats back into a Flowmaster 40 series exiting at the stock location. I've looked everywhere for a leak and can't find it. I found a thread on the F150 site where they used a shop vac or a compressor to blow air into the system through the tailpipe and use soapy water and a spray bottle to pinpoint the leak. Has anyone tried this or have a better idea. I'm just hoping its not the exhaust manifold.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,516

nohel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at all your welds on your system one could of cracked most of the time i have found an exhaust leak on new vehicles come from a crack around the cat.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not sure about how to find it... but luckily for you there are many guys taking off their stock exhaust. I'm sure you can get one cheap.

Sick photo man... Where was that and what happened??? How long did it take you to dig out of that?

OP
OP
Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure about how to find it... but luckily for you there are many guys taking off their stock exhaust. I'm sure you can get one cheap.

Sick photo man... Where was that and what happened??? How long did it take you to dig out of that?

Winchester Bay dunes in Oregon. Rolled over a razor back at 5mph only to realize there was a ditch at the bottom. Gassed it hard but still got stuck. After an hour of digging and not getting out I found another truck to pull me out.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Look at all your welds on your system one could of cracked most of the time i have found an exhaust leak on new vehicles come from a crack around the cat.

Will do.

OP
OP
Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found my exhaust leak today using the shop vac to blow air up the system from the tail pipe while spraying soapy water on all connections and welds. Worked great. My leak is coming from what looks like a blown exhaust manifold gasket on the passenger side of the 5.4L engine. Has anyone removed the manifold from this side of the engine? If so, on a scale of one to ten, what's the difficulty? I'm a fairly competent mechanic and have a good selection of tools. Any insight from anyone with a 5.4L would be appreciated. I've seen all the threads on the 6.2L and it doesn't look like fun on those.

Thanks!

nohel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found my exhaust leak today using the shop vac to blow air up the system from the tail pipe while spraying soapy water on all connections and welds. Worked great. My leak is coming from what looks like a blown exhaust manifold gasket on the passenger side of the 5.4L engine. Has anyone removed the manifold from this side of the engine? If so, on a scale of one to ten, what's the difficulty? I'm a fairly competent mechanic and have a good selection of tools. Any insight from anyone with a 5.4L would be appreciated. I've seen all the threads on the 6.2L and it doesn't look like fun on those.

Thanks!

Sounds like you should just get some headers.

OP
OP
Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get rid of this 2010 soon and will be ordering a 2014. So I don't want to drop any $$ into this thing unless I have to.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I have a crack in my passenger side manifold on my 5.4. Sounds horrible. I would say on a scale of 1-10 it's at least an 8 to remove and fix. I don't even know how you get to some of the bolts. Going to cost around $750 at ford to fix. Or long tubes with off road y pipe installed locally plus programmer will be close to $1000