Engine problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trevor*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good engine building shop in the Phoenix area? I took my truck into the dealer yesterday because the engine was running very rough and they said I have a cracked connecting rod and need a new engine. They are not covering it under warranty because I had a ECU programmer and they blame this on the tune.

D

Deleted member 12951

No shit? Custom tune or 5 star? Did you take it back to stock? Wonder how they are proving this.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How the hell did they determine you had a cracked rod? That sounds to me like they pulled a crystal ball stunt. Was there any bottom end knocking sounds or and indication that would lead them to even look at it? The amount of work needed to make that determination is pretty substantial

OP
OP
Trevor*

Trevor*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a 5 star tune. They said they have software and can tell if the ECU has ever been tuned.

They said the code is misfire in all cylinders and no compression in #8. They said they could take it apart with authorization for $1000 labor to find out exactly, but they said it is better to replace the whole engine it will not cost much more.

D

Deleted member 12951

What did they quote you for that job? How many miles did you have?

Before jumping the gun, might take it to a couple more dealers.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, the PCM has a flash counter.

Well if you let Ford put in a new motor for around $10,000 Labor and Tax included, you could add warranty again.
The motor is like $6,500 shipping inc. for new long block and core return, labor should be 32 hrs. @ $120 = $3,800

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trevor*

Trevor*

Full Access Member
Reaction score

$9600

I tried 2 more dealers and they will not consider it for warranty now. They said a record goes to ford when a vehicle service like this is declined and the other dealers said they would not be able to turn it in for warranty and would have to pay for it out of pocket if they covered it and ford came back and declined it. They will it at it but not for warranty on this.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

It looks like I have to pay for this. Does anyone have. Shop they recommend to rebuild this motor, possibly better?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am curious how long did you run the tune? And what tune were you running? 87 economy or 91 performance? Do you drive it really hard?

and I wonder if the tune really caused the issue or was the engine going anyway? I guess one will never know for sure.