Engine fan sounds like hovercraft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteLightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine fan just kicks on randomly (or so it seems) all the time. Sometimes right when I start the truck, it just runs for 30+ seconds and then shuts off. Its also super loud every time it does it.

Does anyone else experience this?

D

Deleted member 12951

Check your two fans and make sure they are both running. If not check the fuses, believe its 12 and 16 but they are about the only 50amp fuses in there under the hood above the radiator. If the fuses are good then confirm the fans are plugged in, the connector is close to the center of the fan motor.

I had one fan motor that went bad causing the other fan to kick into high speed and super loud. Took it to the dealer and they will replace the entire fan assembly that will replace both.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor has a very loud fan. When it's warm out mine runs for a bit whenever I start the truck and it also runs most of the time when the AC is running. The good news it that I live in AZ and I've never had any issues with the engine over heating. The transmission gets hot but not the engine.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My engine fan just kicks on randomly (or so it seems) all the time. Sometimes right when I start the truck, it just runs for 30+ seconds and then shuts off. Its also super loud every time it does it.

Does anyone else experience this?

Have you ever mentioned this to your dealer, WhiteLightning? If it starts happening more regularly, you can try to replicate it for your tech to help out with diagnosis. How many miles are on the truck?

Crystal

marioec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your two fans and make sure they are both running. If not check the fuses, believe its 12 and 16 but they are about the only 50amp fuses in there under the hood above the radiator. If the fuses are good then confirm the fans are plugged in, the connector is close to the center of the fan motor.

I had one fan motor that went bad causing the other fan to kick into high speed and super loud. Took it to the dealer and they will replace the entire fan assembly that will replace both.

I wander what made your fan to go bad on such a new 2014 truck. I live in Florida and I notice my fans are also kicking into high speed and they are very loud.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did not even know they had two speeds...

OP
OP
WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RDFTS,
Thanks for the info. I checked the fuses and they are good. One of the fans just isn't working, even after I checked the connections. Guess it's back to the dealership...

I appreciate your help.

D

Deleted member 12951

RDFTS,
Thanks for the info. I checked the fuses and they are good. One of the fans just isn't working, even after I checked the connections. Guess it's back to the dealership...

I appreciate your help.

Try swapping the connections to see if the fan that isn't working starts to work. If after trying that and the fan will still not work but now the other one does, then the fan motor is toast and the whole unit needs to be replaced.

They will replace Part Number BL3Z8C607A