Engine cooling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Whenever I start up My 2013 screw it sounds like I'm standing next to a jet. I did a google search, because I can't seem to get good results with the search function here, and the only thread I could come up with was this one: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/high-fan-noise-startup-idle-25824/.

The only problem, not really sure if there's a problem per se, is that the bay/engine temps are hot so the fan kicks into overdrive to clear the compartment/assist in cabin cooling/engine cooling yet there's no discussion of a "fix", I say fix lightly cause I'm not really sure if there's a problem to be fixed.

I've seen the hood vent openings and not really sure why they're so small, also during summer months wouldn't a white vinyl hood graphic or white paint help with fending off the effects of that pesky burning ball in the sky?

Am I overthinking this or is there some merit to helping the cooling process to some degree, lol?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Concerning the hood vents, several of us have modified the openings. The hood is fiberglass, so the work can be done with a Dremel and a sanding drum. There is a caution: if you open the vents too much you may not get a decent spray from your windshield washers while in motion.

There is a reason why a lot of fighter jets, historic and current, had matte black paint on the nose in front of the cockpit: glare reduction. A white hood graphic on your Raptor would do the opposite. I wouldn't, but it's your truck.

As to the fan, I'm betting that its speed is controlled by ECU software. If so, then changing the program is not something that the average owner can do.

D

Deleted member 12951

Check to make sure BOTH fans are functional. I had one fan motor go out so the other fan constantly would go into high-speed mode to compensate for the loss of cooling. I had the fan assembly replace under warranty.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Concerning the hood vents, several of us have modified the openings. The hood is fiberglass, so the work can be done with a Dremel and a sanding drum. There is a caution: if you open the vents too much you may not get a decent spray from your windshield washers while in motion.

There is a reason why a lot of fighter jets, historic and current, had matte black paint on the nose in front of the cockpit: glare reduction. A white hood graphic on your Raptor would do the opposite. I wouldn't, but it's your truck.

As to the fan, I'm betting that its speed is controlled by ECU software. If so, then changing the program is not something that the average owner can do.
Haven't done the mod to open the hood extractors yet. Good to know about the windshield washer.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wouldnt enlarging the hood holes, increase the chance of water damage, poetentially?

Water damage under the hood? With a big grill sucking up gobs of cooling air and everything in it, I don't understand the concern. I haven't had any problems with it.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if water would come through the hood holes and mess something up. I guess I am just over thinking it.

D

Deleted member 12951

I wasn't sure if water would come through the hood holes and mess something up. I guess I am just over thinking it.

I've been in muddy water to the point that the entire engine was covered including the felt on the underside of the hood completely drenched in mud that is was coming off. Mud and water not only comes through the front but also on the sides in the wheel openings regardless if you have the factory liners. The top hood vents mean nothing in comparison to this.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been in muddy water to the point that the entire engine was covered including the felt on the underside of the hood completely drenched in mud that is was coming off. Mud and water not only comes through the front but also on the sides in the wheel openings regardless if you have the factory liners. The top hood vents mean nothing in comparison to this.

Cool! I'm gonna open up those holes then. You have the factory air box correct?