driveline "pop" or "clunk" in tight parking lots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is a big discussion on here regarding the "clunk", but I don't think this is what it is. When I have to make very tight turns, like in a parking lot and transition between drive and reverse, there is a very noticeable pop, clunk, and whatever else you want to call a odd noise in the driveline. Plus, when the wheels are turned sharply (again in parking lot situations) there is a noticeable creak in the front suspension when you go in drive to pull away. Again, like you are pulling out of a tight parking spot with the front wheels cranked, then finally go into drive to pull out to drive away.

Already took the truck in once and they said there was a TSB for the rear pinion gear torque, but that didn't do a damn thing.

Anyone noticed anything similar?

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try checking your ball joints. I know my drivers side does it when I have the wheel cut hard to the left. (bad ball joint that side)

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If its forward and backward direction change, or when you slow down at a stop light and leave again. Its in the transfer case.

I have had my truck in several times for it and they say its normal. Also had the TSB for the rear pinion torque. they over torqued it and blew up the rearend.

Rebuilt that and the clunk is still there. Mine snaps 3-4 times when accelerating, or backing up.

smithe6

Reaction score
Might be a front diff problem. Raise the front end and turn tire, make sure 4 wheel drive is fully disengaged. Had this sound happen to me in a f 150 xlt.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had it from day one with stock wheels and tires. Same with methods and toyos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Already took the truck in once and they said there was a TSB for the rear pinion gear torque, but that didn't do a damn thing...

...Rebuilt that and the clunk is still there. Mine snaps 3-4 times when accelerating, or backing up.

Hi folks,

Keep in mind that I'm here to do what I can to help. If you'd like me to get involved, send me your info in a PM and I'll research options. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Crystal appreciate the service. The issue comes in to the point where we have to repeatedly take our vehicles back to the dealer for the same problems. I have documented it and even taken video that locates the clunk.

Dealer says its normal and sends me on my way. In the mean time i have to take time off work to meet their hours to drop the vehicle off and again to pick it up.

It would be great if we could document / record these issues and send them to you, have ford people review it, and then diagnose and send to dealer for repairs.

I understand if the process / chain of command doesnt work that way internally. That would be ideal for us.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...It would be great if we could document / record these issues and send them to you, have ford people review it, and then diagnose and send to dealer for repairs.

I understand if the process / chain of command doesnt work that way internally. That would be ideal for us.

Hi Huck,

Unfortunately, I can't send information to our engineering staff directly. If you've already had an issue diagnosed at the dealership level and you're still experiencing it, I can help by pushing it up to the regional level. I know you and I have been in touch before; if you'd like me to arrange for a follow-up call from your regional customer service manager (CSM), just PM me your current mileage and a verification of your best daytime contact number. I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal