door rattling fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PJF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My drivers side door rattles around the back where the locking rod is. This has been the norm with the past two F150's. So, I got some 3/8" surgical tubing and lubricated it so I could push it all the down as far as it will go on the locking rod. Problem fixed. Wonder why Ford just refuses to fix this problem since 2006?

Nitrous Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My drivers side door rattles around the back where the locking rod is. This has been the norm with the past two F150's. So, I got some 3/8" surgical tubing and lubricated it so I could push it all the down as far as it will go on the locking rod. Problem fixed. Wonder why Ford just refuses to fix this problem since 2006?

I will have to do this on mine as well, I can't stand that rattle.

OP
OP
PJF

PJF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped the tubing at the top so the rod would be able to go up and down. fast and easy fix.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Pictures? Is that what rattles in my door unless the window is all the way up???

OP
OP
PJF

PJF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures? Is that what rattles in my door unless the window is all the way up???

Didn't take any pictures when I had the panel off. Sorry. Yes you have to take panel off to slide the tubing all the way down the rod. When you look at it you will see that the rod has a couple of bends in it and it goes out of sight. Just lubricate tubing and slide it until you can tell it stops. There is a small plastic clip at the top that helps guide the rod straight up through the panel hole. you will need to stop the tubing at the clip while the rod is in the UNLOCK position. This will allow it to move up and down when you lock/unlock. Mine rattled all the time. Can't right off hand say if I ever had the window down to see if it stopped. It sounds just like metal tapping against metal. Not necessarily loud. Just annoying. The tubing with a little lubricant slides right over the length of the locking rod. Removing the top black piece that sticks out of the door panel at the top makes it easier to install tubing. Its been a week now and ZERO noise from the door.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately having the window in any position does not have an affect on the door lock rod. most likely it is your window track or motor if you are having this issue with the window down, but not up