Disabling seat belt chimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seeker

Reaction score
I have followed the instructions in the owners manual to disable the seat belt reminder chime at least 10x with no luck. I do not have MyKey active so it should work. Any tricks to this? Yeah, I know we should always wear our seatbelts but I usually don't unless I'm in a state that requires it or on a challenging course or road.

I had an accident 49 years ago that if I had been wearing a seatbelt I would have lost my left leg and probably would have died.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I did is follow the directions, I think I remember something about the last time you put the clip in the belt, you take it back out, or something like that.

and you just turn the key forward, although the picture in the book has arrows going both ways (same way on the 2011 F250) little mis-leading, but thats the way they have it in the book.

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disabled the chime for the driver's seat following the procedures in the manual. Initially it failed but in my case, the problem was that I wasn't waiting long enough for the light to go out before starting the sequence. Not sure if that will help you but, that was the problem I had getting it to work.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pgs 183, 184 in your manual.

Quote:
1. Turn the ignition switch to the on position. DO NOT START THE
ENGINE.
2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately one
minute)
• Step 3 must be completed within 30 seconds after the safety belt
warning light turns off.
3. For the seating position being disabled, buckle then unbuckle the
safety belt three times, ending in the unbuckled state.
• After Step 3, the restraint system warning light (airbag light) will be
turned on for three seconds.
4. Within approximately seven seconds of the light turning off, buckle
then unbuckle the safety belt.
• This will disable the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position if it
is currently enabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning
light will flash four times per second for three seconds.
• This will enable the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position if it
is currently disabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning
light will flash four times per second for three seconds, followed by
three seconds with the light off, then followed by the restraint system
warning light flashing four times per second for three seconds again.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeker, I too got frustrated and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong... THEN, I read the directions again for the 10th time and realized that I wasn't putting the parking brake on.

-Check the parking brake
-Make sure you're turning the ignition forward but not starting the truck too.

OP
OP
Seeker

Seeker

Reaction score
First 10x I didn't have parking brake set. Since then I have and have followed the instructions to the letter. After step 3 my airbag light never comes on.

I will try again tomorrow.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i just put my seat belt on now.. Illinois requires it, and already got stopped at a road block looking for seat belts the other night on my way to buy beer......

i used to never put my seatbelt on unless i was on the interstate, and even then it was 50/50..... im getting old arent i?

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i just put my seat belt on now.. Illinois requires it, and already got stopped at a road block looking for seat belts the other night on my way to buy beer......

i used to never put my seatbelt on unless i was on the interstate, and even then it was 50/50..... im getting old arent i?

Not really I just don't like to have it on when I'm back home on the ranch. Opening gates and loading boats and what not makes it a PITA. I just dont like a chime bothering me. I wear my seat belt almost all the time on paved roads but when helping out on the ranch there is 100% no need for it.

OP
OP
Seeker

Seeker

Reaction score
Success finally. Sent my wife out to try it and it actually worked. The airbag light never came on but she buckled and unbuckled the belt one more time and got the confirmation flashes. When we went out last night the damn thing wasn't ringing for 5 minutes everytime I started the truck. :waytogo: