Disabling airbag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PalmaVirtuti

Reaction score
A number of F150's in my club have had airbags go off recently when side cresting some of the bigger dunes here in UAE.

I have heard rumors, but nothing definitive that we are able to disable the airbags (remove a fuse?) in the raptor while off-roading?

Would appreciate some advice. FYI, 2013 Roush Raptor.

OP
OP
PalmaVirtuti

PalmaVirtuti

Reaction score
I've been through the manual and couldn't find anything clear in the fuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12951

Are you in off-road mode? That mode makes the airbags less sensitive and only deploys if its really serious.

OP
OP
PalmaVirtuti

PalmaVirtuti

Reaction score
Yes, always in off-road mode. I've heard that it makes the airbags less sensitive in this mode but was hoping for some confirmation as I also couldn't find anything on this in the owners manual.

13raptorcrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your restraints control module (RCM-which is mounted under the center console) controls when and which airbags should deploy. If it was my truck (or anyone of my friends trucks) I would not mess with the RCM or any fuse that powers it). Nasty things can happen if you do it incorrectly. I have not heard of many (if any) Raptors having bags that deployed when the shit hasn't hit the fan or when they were not needed.

Off-road mode is communicated through the network to the RCM as others have said to eliminate false deployments.

Just my 2 cents...

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you in off-road mode? That mode makes the airbags less sensitive and only deploys if its really serious.
I was going to say, I don't think this has been confirmed..... but then Sean chimes in. Lol....
Your restraints control module (RCM-which is mounted under the center console) controls when and which airbags should deploy. If it was my truck (or anyone of my friends trucks) I would not mess with the RCM or any fuse that powers it). Nasty things can happen if you do it incorrectly. I have not heard of many (if any) Raptors having bags that deployed when the shit hasn't hit the fan or when they were not needed.

Off-road mode is communicated through the network to the RCM as others have said to eliminate false deployments.

Just my 2 cents...
Thank you for that confirmation!

I agree.... Only times I've seen the airbag go off in a Raptor is when it was truly needed....

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

Submit your photo for the calendar contest
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?t=44744

OP
OP
PalmaVirtuti

PalmaVirtuti

Reaction score
For me it's not banging or jumping that's likely to set airbag off, but sudden change from one side to the other when side creating some of the big dunes, which could simulate a roll-over to some degree, so it's not really a matter of how rough the vehicle is being driven.

D

Deleted member 12951

Yeah I look in the supplement manual that talks all about off road mode and I could not confirm about the air bags either. I did find articles on the Internet and even a post here over 4 years ago by @pirate air but nothing directly from Ford.