Dead Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Just in case anyone experiences what I did today, don't freak out. I think I left my key in the run position for a few hours by mistake.

When I got back to my truck my head lights were flickering rapidly and there is was this horrible fast clicking noise coming from under my dash.

When I went to start my truck nothing happened except my airbag light came on. I didn't think my truck was on long enough to kill the battery so I started to freak out.

It wasn't the starter clicking it was just random without the key in ignition it all. Also when I went to turn my headlights off from the auto setting they were still on and flickering really fast but very dim.

That's what got me screwed up the most is that nothing would shut off and there was nothing I could do to turn the headlights off or stop flickering.

Immediately disconnected the battery and put the charger on it for an hour. It's all set now but I have never really experienced that when I have a dead battery. Just thought I would pass it along in case anybody else ever has this happen.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When my battery died (orange glow in the battery window) and I turned the key to on I had a fast clicking noise also and I notice all the guages were doing the jidder bug.

Last edited:

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. Maybe your truck thought it was a police Raptor with the flashing headlights or something.

But on a more serious note, I've noticed that my Raptor doesn't have the "lifespan" on "RUN" that my 2010 did. I'd routinely leave it on the "RUN" position for hours and detail the truck, hop in and go for it. All would be well.

Now, I can't sit in the parking lot and listen to the radio while macking on some chick for 30 minutes without an alert saying to turn the truck off as my battery is going to go dead. ...and that's when I was daily driving the truck and it was getting charged all the time!

WTF over.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bird a got a question for you and might post this up if people have the same problem. Anyways.... My roommate who has a 2010 6.2 was on a trip got back to the airport to find his truck dead due to radar detector didn't auto shut off for some reason. Anyways he had to call a lock smith due to the key wouldn't work in the door. It works fine in the tail gate and the steering column but no luck on the door. Anyways after the lock smith got the door open and then could pop the hood the battery was charged and the truck was started. He tried the door right after to see if the key would work again and the door was able to unlock. He said it seams like the door lock is a manual switch for the electronic door rather than a manual lock. I asked the service guy at the ford dealership due to my steering wheel bolt backing off and he didn't know if it was electronic or manual. Anyone know? Should be able to replicate this but make sure the hood is already popped open.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm... Makes me want to go outside and "listen and feel". I do plan on driving the truck today, so I'll check it out. Hmm. Strange indeed!