Dash Lights go dim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BassRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a 2014 only 3060 miles on her got two problems that seem to happen 1. Dash lights will be dim when driving then just go bright all of a sudden also the screen in the center console does it at the same time then go dim again. 2 At cold start up in either winter or summer when turning on the heater or air conditioner there is a big clunk sound under the hood but after driving to work shutting off truck then re starting and turning on the heater of air NO clunk. any ideas not even time for first service yet but may be heading in sooner .

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
For the dimming issue, maybe under/over-voltage from the alternator. Clunk sounds like you have a HVAC valve sticking, maybe have the Freon level check, if low, it can produce something similar.

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the dimming, you may have a bad light sensor. You can check that out by going to the center screen, settings, display. Then turn off the auto dim. Run like that for a while and see if it still dims on ya. If it doesn't, then switch back to auto dim and see if it does it again. Mine will go dim or bright depending on how light or dark it is outside. Even on a heavy cloudy day it will dim thinking its night.

As for the clunk, it might just be your AC compressor switching on. If you have your CC in auto, the AC will come on with the heater if it detects too much moisture in the air (to prevent window fogging).

Last edited:
OP
OP
BassRap

BassRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the dimming, you may have a bad light sensor. You can check that out by going to the center screen, settings, display. Then turn off the auto dim. Run like that for a while and see if it still dims on ya.

As for the clunk, it might just be your AC compressor switching on.

It does it when the heater kick on also.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for a trip to the dealership!

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got a 2014 only 3060 miles on her got two problems that seem to happen 1. Dash lights will be dim when driving then just go bright all of a sudden also the screen in the center console does it at the same time then go dim again. 2 At cold start up in either winter or summer when turning on the heater or air conditioner there is a big clunk sound under the hood but after driving to work shutting off truck then re starting and turning on the heater of air NO clunk. any ideas not even time for first service yet but may be heading in sooner .

Let me know when you head in to the dealership, BassRap; I'll alert your regional customer service manager so they can ensure things go smoothly. Once you've made an appointment, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal

OP
OP
BassRap

BassRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know when you head in to the dealership, BassRap; I'll alert your regional customer service manager so they can ensure things go smoothly. Once you've made an appointment, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal

Thank you, I love the truck first Ford I have owned had 11 GMC and one Ram in the last 13 years buy a new one almost every year but wanted to hold on to this one if no issues.