Cranks but won't start :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caribdawg1

Reaction score
Cranks great no fire

First time ihad problem, started fine with 1 of my 2 keys. Problem key would operate all locks, ignition, etc except remote start or starting truck. 2 weeks ago, Ford fixed (supposedly) by reprograming keys. I purchased a 3rd key and also had it programed.
Now none of the 3 work, same presentation, fuel pump relay looks ok.
Bet its the onboard portion of the smart key link in the chain.....
Posted while waiting for tow truck

bkirkwood

Reaction score
Thanks Dalamar, this helped.

I had the same symptoms and my truck was stuck in a parking garage making it difficult for a tow truck to get in. I started following other instructions about the battery and such (but the battery was strong). so when I found your steps, I started with pulling Fuse 27 and guess what...it was burnt! I ran up the store, bought a new one and it started right up. I contacted my service advisor and he said there is an advisory out that if it does this, there is also a harness that is or can be melted. I have the truck in the shop now (it's under extended warranty), so we will see what happens from there. Either way, thanks again for the detailed post and saving me time and money on getting a tow truck.

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 AM ----------

Thanks Dalamar, this helped.

I had the same symptoms and my truck was stuck in a parking garage making it difficult for a tow truck to get in. I started following other instructions about the battery and such (but the battery was strong). so when I found your steps, I started with pulling Fuse 27 and guess what...it was burnt! I ran up the store, bought a new one and it started right up. I contacted my service advisor and he said there is an advisory out that if it does this, there is also a harness that is or can be melted. I have the truck in the shop now (it's under extended warranty), so we will see what happens from there. Either way, thanks again for the detailed post and saving me time and money on getting a tow truck.

BTW.. here is Ford's TSB:
http://m.ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/15-0137.pdf

Boricuaevo8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I wanted to share. It’s 2018 and I’ve owned my Raptor since I ordered it back in 2012. It’s a 2013 and I finally have been having issues just like OP’s description. Well low and behold today I went to take a nice little off-road adventure with my wife and doxy. I parked my truck for a few hours to take a walking trail and when I returned I was freaking out because imy truck was not cranking. I was thinking it was the FPCM but after googling and researching. I came across this thread. I attached an image of the fuse #20 next to a #10 just for comparison purposes. I’m going to check everything Dalamar suggested. This blows

Attachments

• 6C34218D-D8E5-423B-921D-7D01007BF1C2.jpg
    6C34218D-D8E5-423B-921D-7D01007BF1C2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 81A82D2F-AD26-4E3B-94A0-FBA3DE53D7BC.jpg
    81A82D2F-AD26-4E3B-94A0-FBA3DE53D7BC.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Smackit

Reaction score
Cranks but won’t start

Fuel pump fuse may be the issue
It’s easy to check and can save time and money
It’s a 20 amp usually yellow on the left middle of the fuse box in the engine compartment of the truck

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Went outside this morning to hop in mind and go. 13 with 40k miles, all it would do was crank. Found this thread and a quick trip to parts store I was back in business.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nivek

Reaction score
My '13 (with 80k miles) did this this morning. Was just the 20A fuse, but you can see how it burned out the side of it - new fuse got me going, however i'm going to relocate the fuse since the fuse block is clearly heating up (per that TSB)
Thanks @Dalamar !!!

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My '13 (with 80k miles) did this this morning. Was just the 20A fuse, but you can see how it burned out the side of it - new fuse got me going, however i'm going to relocate the fuse since the fuse block is clearly heating up (per that TSB)
Thanks @Dalamar !!!
I do believe mine has done it again, went out this morning and it just cranked. Couldn't get any codes to pull up. I pulled the fuse I put in before and it didn't looked burnt, the terminals did look brown. I am going to run and get some new ones, the ones I bought stuck out still when I put it in. Anyone know what type they are? I know they are minis, but they must be shorts.

Update...I went and bought the low profile 20A fuse, popped it in....nothing. I'm going to go buy the relay mentioned on page 2 and try that, if that don't work I guess I'll swap out the module mentioned in the same post.

Last edited:

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do believe mine has done it again, went out this morning and it just cranked. Couldn't get any codes to pull up. I pulled the fuse I put in before and it didn't looked burnt, the terminals did look brown. I am going to run and get some new ones, the ones I bought stuck out still when I put it in. Anyone know what type they are? I know they are minis, but they must be shorts.

Update...I went and bought the low profile 20A fuse, popped it in....nothing. I'm going to go buy the relay mentioned on page 2 and try that, if that don't work I guess I'll swap out the module mentioned in the same post.
What did you end up doing? I’m in the same boat. Swapped fuse on Sunday after no start, cleaned the MAF and went to start it this morning and it’s only cranking. Re-Checked and cleaned just now and I got nothing. Thanks.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What did you end up doing? I’m in the same boat. Swapped fuse on Sunday after no start, cleaned the MAF and went to start it this morning and it’s only cranking. Re-Checked and cleaned just now and I got nothing. Thanks.
You need to check if you actually have power to fuse 27, it could be melted underneath or you might have a fuel pump problem.