Cranks but won't start :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im assuming long beach in so cal. which dealer are you using? are you happy with them? im in the same area and im not sure which one to take it to for service. took it in to caruso for tire rotation and went smoothly but thats not a good test.

OP
OP
nrselle

nrselle

Reaction score
im assuming long beach in so cal. which dealer are you using? are you happy with them? im in the same area and im not sure which one to take it to for service. took it in to caruso for tire rotation and went smoothly but thats not a good test.
I have taken it twice to worthington ford in long beach. Steve in service is a great guy. But I don't know how great the mechanics are if they can't find the source of a problem.

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have taken it twice to worthington ford in long beach. Steve in service is a great guy. But I don't know how great the mechanics are if they can't find the source of a problem.

thanks for the info. if i have any experiences positive or negative ill let you know. good luck i hope they get you on the road soon

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I didn't know our keys are chipped. My Raptor has a viper alarm system and I kept accidentally clicking the buttons on the stock remote and I removed the battery out of it. Do they not need batteries for the chip to work?

Dalamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is doing the same thing. did it once a few weeks ago, then started a few hrs later. died last friday, still won't start. checked fuse power to pump relay and pump relay, both getting power.... still looking.

Dalamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It ended up being the FPCM (fuel pump control moduel)

I couldn't find much info on the Raptors or newer F150's so I figured I'd post up this info:

So for those looking, if your truck cranks but won't fire, its most likely not getting fuel.
Checking around, this seems to be a fairly common problem on F150's so if your headed out on a long trip, it might be a good idea to have a spare FPCM in case yous goes out. I had no warning. I'm at 54,000 miles.

There's basically 4 things to check if this happens:
1- Fuse in front dist box under the hood - Fuel pump relay power (Fuse 27)
2- Fuel pump Relay (R8) (pic shows 7, but it's 8)
3- Fuel pump control module
4- Fuel pump itself, in the tank.
it's also possible that your fuel filter is completely plugged, but I didn't really look into that.

I also found out: it's normal for your truck to continue to crank after you let off the key for 7 seconds, if it doesn't start. When starting your truck, you can just bump the key, it holds the crank until it fires or for 7 sec...

Troubleshooting tips:
1- Fuse - pull and stare

2- Relay - have someone turn key while you're pinching the relay, you will feel it click. if no click, try swapping with another and see if the other one works.

3- FPCM - have someone turn the key while you're down under the truck. you will hear the pump prime for 2 sec.
To change: Lower spare tire, it is mounted to the sub-frame above spare (pic below)
all you need to do this is a 10 mm wrench/socket. I also removed the ground wire next to it, scraped the frame where it made contact and re-tightened it.

After I changed out the module on mine, tuned the key to on, heard the prime.... then it fired right up!

4- Pump - if you know it's getting power, and the FPCM is working, your pump is probably bad, you'll have to drop the tank, R & R.

R50.jpg

R48.jpg

R49.jpg

Last edited:

Dalamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's been a few weeks now. My truck drives better than it did before, it's more peppy and accelerates better, has more power.

If your truck seems slugish, this might be the culprit.

caribdawg1

Reaction score
If turning over fine but not even a hint of firing, quite possible chip is bad in key. Try other key if you have it. If it starts easily, that will confirm key is the problem !