Cold starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
Im having an issue with cold starting. The truck cranks a lot more than it normally does before it starts. Only on cold/first start up and it cranks and starts normally after the initial start up. I bought the truck used, but it appears that the fuel pump fuse issue was already addressed.

I tried a search but didnt find anything on it here.

TIA
Mike

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How's the battery? Bad fuel?

Good strong battery, good plugs, clean injectors, clean MAF sensor, no vacuum leaks, etc......
it should startup on the first rotation even if you don't let the fuel pump prime up.

Are you waiting a second or two in the on position before cranking.
Remote start energizes the fuel pump and locks the doors and few other things before cranking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response
Original plugs (only 56K miles) Battery is good

Been using Shell 89 Octane for a long time w/no issues. I did put a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner in this fill up. Ill see if it helps.

Was thinking about cleaning the MAF sensor. What do you recommend for that?

I've tried waiting after the key is on, but no change. Its not cold in Phoenix (ever) in the morning, and the truck is garaged at night. It starts right up after the first start up or after sitting in the parking lot at work all day. I'll try remote starting next time to see how that does.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Otis857, here are two relevant excerpts from the 2011 Owners Manual:

"If you experience starting, rough idle or hesitation driveability problems during a cold start, try a different brand of 'Regular' unleaded gasoline. 'Premium' unleaded gasoline is not recommended for vehicles designed to use 'Regular' unleaded gasoline because it may cause these problems to become more pronounced. If the problems persist, see your authorized dealer." [from page 393 under Fuel Quality, unleaded gasoline engines]

"Do not add aftermarket fuel additive products to your fuel tank. It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket products to your fuel tank if you continue to use high quality fuel of the recommended octane rating. These products have not been approved for your engine and could cause damage to the fuel system. Repairs to correct the effects of using an aftermarket product in your fuel system may not be covered by your warranty." [from page 394]

OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ruger. I see people on this forum using 91-93 octane. I havent tried premium which is 91 octane in Az due to the price, the 89 octane is mid grade. I've used 87 (regular) in the past without issue, but went mid grade when the prices went down. I'll try another brand to see if that changes anything.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BP is my choice for brand of fuel.
Battery, lol. I'm on my third one. This Odyssey battery kicks ass, I'm consistently seeing over 14 volts. Ford battery barely got 13.1 when truck was running and only lasted 6 months.

Listen, it says you can use 87 in the manual, BUT if you experience pinging, knocking, rough idle, bring it in to the dealer!!! LOL
You may have to watch for high Ethanol in cheap fuel, any thing above 10% is going to put excess water in the fuel sitting in the tank. Sorry Wilson!

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment I do this twice a year, before summer and again before Winter.

I use the Techron every 3000 miles for 7 years now, and I only use 93 octane in all three of my vehicles (Whippled Raptor, Supercharged Audi Q5 and Eco boost Escape).
Much cheaper then the Ford Dealers https://www.bgprod.com/services/gasoline-fuel-services/fuel-air-induction/ cleaning service for $200+ LOL

Clean the MAF with MAF cleaner, found in any Auto Store, any brand will do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
follow up.
The long cranking issue started getting worse. So out of the blue, I decided to check the infamous fuse 27. It was a 20 amp fuse so I initially dismissed it. While it wasnt noticeably burnt like others have posted, once I changed it out, the starting issue has improved dramatically. Still takes a little longer than when i first got the truck, but it doesnt crank a lot and try to start like a fuel pump issue. I'll put a mini fuse in instead of the micro fuse since they have thicker tangs and should make better contact for now. Looks like a fuse relocation kit is in my future.