Cold Start Wrench Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlauth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the last few weeks I have been getting the wrench light on cold starts. If the truck warms up and I restart it the light disappears. There is no limp condition or power reduction. Checked for codes but there are none. Brought it to the dealer but they want 80 bucks to look at it BC its only under powertrain warranty. And they rep said 75% of the time its throttle body or drive by wire related. And that is not covered under PT warranty... Kinda bs but what can you do.

So I decide to just dig into it myself. Has anyone ever experienced this. I am gonna start by cleaning the throttle body. I already replaced the dirty filter. Also while replacing the filter I found a 4" x3" piece of paper in the air box...thought that would be the issue BC of air restriction, but it wasn't.

Any ideas? Any one else have throttle body issues?

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Ok, but it still might not be a bad idea to get her involved considering the (lack of) warranty situation.

Since you have a Cobra as well and probably read Mustang/Cobra message boards, I'm sure you're familiar with Ford granting AWAs (after warranty adjustment/award) to customers from time to time.

G'luck either way and let us know what the culprit was/is...

OP
OP
J

jlauth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm here if you need my help, jlauth. How many miles are on the truck?

Crystal

The truck currently has 33500 miles. 3 year warranty was up Dec 2014. Like I said i brought it to the dealer but didn't feel like I should have to pay to diagnose a powertrain fault because the truck still has the PT warranty. Like I said I attempted to pull codes myself and there were none. So basically if I can't get a dealer to diagnose for free then I will dig myself.

Last edited:

tinman44

Reaction score
I'm having this issue now. Everything I read pointed to the throttle body. So I bought one and swapped and well no joy. Starts up and when it gets to idle it just shuts down. I don't want to tow it to a dealer for them to spend weeks and replace parts that don't get it done. This wrench doesn't throw any codes either. Sounds like this is a real issue...a code that doesn't record any codes and could be 12 different expensive special order parts...

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clogged fuel filter/screen fuel pump going bad...bad ignition switch

tinman44

Reaction score
That would suck. Gonna have to tow it to the dealer Monday. When I first had issues I sprayed throttle body cleaner and it was good for maybe a day. Wouldn't fuel pump/filter/ignition spit out a code? This is not storing codes at all. Found several threads about this, even found one a tech chimed in to say that the wrench can only be the throttle body or parts associated with reading it or controlling it.

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What scanning tool are you using? Will the truck stay started if you give it gas? Or does it still stall