Clicking Noise from CV Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhall

Reaction score
So.... I come to you after spending all day on the truck and not figuring out this loud click/pop.

So, last year when I bought the truck, I noticed a loud pop every so often when turning left in 4wd. I knew the IWE system is kind of goofy and didn't think much of it..... Until this winter when something popped fairly loudly on the driver side outer CV joint/ IWE area while in 4wd. Now there is a constant click/pop in the driver side front end any time I am in 4wd. Thought I had just toasted an IWE. Went to replace the IWE today along with a torn CV boot. The one coming off looked fine and both the locking hub side gears and CV axle gear looked completely fine with no broken teeth or wear. Vacuum is holding a solid 25psi when the system is not engaged and has no leaks. The sound is still there and getting worse, much worse when turning left. I have a few paths to take here but wanted to see if anyone had similar problems before I buy all these parts and just replace everything.

My thought process next: pull front diff cover and check fluid, check passenger side IWE, check diff bushings, replace front u joint, replace CV half shafts.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like what so many others have described when the IWE's break. If it were me I would have a ford tech look at it and go from there. It never hurts to have a fresh set of eyes and ears evaluate the problem and could save you time and money in the long run.

Crash33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Half shafts, joints are bad. With truck running in 2 wheel drive (so hubs are free), crawl under truck, pull push wiggle half shafts for play. turn driveshaft and look for binding with wheels neutral, then turn wheels and try all again. Last, you can lift wheels off ground, front shocks and suspension at full droop, try again. Nothing should bind.

OP
OP
N

nhall

Reaction score
Yeah, did that yesterday. The driver's side half shaft would bind a tiny bit but had zero play. Did have a torn boot that I didn't see all winter so I am guessing some gravel and crap got in the outboard joint.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Anyone have a part # for the driver side CV axle?

Edit- Here is the part number if anyone was wondering- AL3Z3A427B

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nhall

Reaction score
So after an afternoon spent under my truck, I have more questions than answers. I jacked up the front end again and have zero binding of either CV joint. The clicking/popping noise is worse than ever in 4wd and I have started to develop a rotational click above 50mph that increases with speed.

So I thought it might be my drive chain in the transfer case, locked up the transfer case and had zero play in the front drive line. Which somewhat rules that one out. But when the transfer case is not in 4wd, I have about an 8th to 1/4th of a turn of play in the front drive shaft. Tomorrow I plan on opening the front diff to take a peek around and re-boot the diver's side CV. Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Houb

Reaction score
So.... I come to you after spending all day on the truck and not figuring out this loud click/pop.

So, last year when I bought the truck, I noticed a loud pop every so often when turning left in 4wd. I knew the IWE system is kind of goofy and didn't think much of it..... Until this winter when something popped fairly loudly on the driver side outer CV joint/ IWE area while in 4wd. Now there is a constant click/pop in the driver side front end any time I am in 4wd. Thought I had just toasted an IWE. Went to replace the IWE today along with a torn CV boot. The one coming off looked fine and both the locking hub side gears and CV axle gear looked completely fine with no broken teeth or wear. Vacuum is holding a solid 25psi when the system is not engaged and has no leaks. The sound is still there and getting worse, much worse when turning left. I have a few paths to take here but wanted to see if anyone had similar problems before I buy all these parts and just replace everything.

My thought process next: pull front diff cover and check fluid, check passenger side IWE, check diff bushings, replace front u joint, replace CV half shafts.
Sorry to bring up this thread man.

I just spent a lot of time and money replacing my front left cv and IWE thinking it would cure the problem that I have which sounds a lot like the one you are/were facing.

I went offroad today and put in in 4WD and my heart sank when I heard the clicking popping sound, sounds like a metallic crack that physically wants to stop my front left wheel from rotating. In reverse whilst turning left it is even worse, thats how I blew the ball cage in my CV last time. So after replacing it and vacuum testing the hoses I didn't think it would be an issue again.

Did you fix, or discover the problem?

If so could you give me some advice on what yours was and what to look out for?

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me. The front axle would also click and then make a loud bang. I put the truck in low range and put the brakes on and slowly gave it gas and it started to click and then blew the inside drivers cv joint. I replaced the axle and all is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts