Check Locking Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhall

Reaction score
Hey All,
Just got a 2011 screw with 80K on it, ADD package all around. Borla exhaust, volant intake, 5 star 87 performance tune. Well, after a few weeks playing around with it, I have now got a "Check Locking Diff" message. The locking diff light blinks but does not engage. Have tried it in all 4x4 hi and low, and in ORM. It is an instant message and does not sound like it is trying to engage the rear diff. I threw a volt meter on the locker sending wires and there is no voltage at that point. Checked the wiring as far back as I could with no disrupts. 4x4CM looks to be in good shape and no loose connections. Truck has no codes thrown. Anyone have another idea before I take it into Ford?

By the way... This thing is way too much fun!

OP
OP
N

nhall

Reaction score
Electromagnet

Looks like it could be the electromagnet in the locker. Anyone have an idea what locker that is, Eaton or Auburn?

OP
OP
N

nhall

Reaction score
PCM and harness are good. No other faults in the entire system.

Badass69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be something with the TCCM then. The button just sends voltage to the transfer case control module which then signal the diff to lock. Either that or as mentioned a solenoid fault in rear end. The locker isn't an Auburn or Eaton... it's some weird outfit called GKN driveline I had never heard of prior. I have had mine apart in my FX4 and they are kind of a mickey mouse thing lol. It's just a lock plate with teeth on that gets forced up against the drivers side spider gear and locks the spider solid to the carrier thus locking the diff... minus the slop in the axles so there will always be play in wheels because of that. It's works but I see myself destroying it on the drag strip honestly. I don't care if I do... I bought a Detroit locker and it can just wait until I grenade the factory one.

Here is the OEM unit you guys have in your Raptors.

http://www.gkn.com/driveline/our-so...ls/Pages/electronic-locking-differential.aspx

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nhall

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the locker. I have no way to test my module but I'll see if a signal is getting to it. I'm going to break into the locker tomorrow and put some voltage to the electromagnet to see if that's working or not.

Badass69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a meter you could trace the wiring and see if something is awry. When I broke an axle in my fx4 my locker stopped working and the icon the dash quit showing up but I never got a message in the message center. In my case it was full of metal. I took the carrier out, dismantled the locker and cleaned it out and then it has worked fine since. So to me if its not your solenoid it's a cable fault.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nhall

Reaction score
Ended up being the solenoid. Somehow the arms holding it bent, causing it to rotate freely with the ring gear, shearing the wires. Just ordered up a new kit Ford PN 9L3Z-4880-B. Looks like an easy fix, just have to pull the carrier and replace the solenoid.