GEN 2 Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Santiago

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not sure what I should do and was looking for a little advice.

A few days ago my wife was driving home on a rainy night down the highway. She called me to let me know the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT had just turned on. Truck has about 1,200 miles and had about at 3/4 of a tank of 93o from a new fill station I don't normally go to. My stomach turned when she gave me the call and when she got back home I went out and read the manual. This is what the manual has to say.

"When the service engine soon
indicator illuminates, the OBD-II
system has detected a
malfunction. Temporary malfunctions may
cause the service engine soon indicator to
illuminate. Examples are:
1. Your vehicle has run out of fuel
— the engine may misfire or run poorly.
2. Poor fuel quality or water in the fuel
— the engine may misfire or run poorly.
3. The fuel fill inlet may not have closed
properly. See Refueling (page 180).
4. Driving through deep water
— the electrical system may be wet.

You can correct these temporary
malfunctions by filling the fuel tank with
good quality fuel, properly closing the fuel
fill inlet or letting the electrical system dry
out. After three driving cycles without these
or any other temporary malfunctions
present, the service engine soon indicator
should stay off the next time you start the
engine. A driving cycle consists of a cold
engine startup followed by mixed city and
highway driving. No additional vehicle
service is required.
If the service engine soon indicator remains
on, have your vehicle serviced at the first
available opportunity. Although some
malfunctions detected by the OBD-II may
not have symptoms that are apparent,
continued driving with the service engine
soon indicator on can result in increased
emissions, lower fuel economy, reduced
engine and transmission smoothness and
lead to more costly repairs."

After reading this I cycled the engine and the light went away! All was great until last night on my way home when the light came back on. It was also a wet drive on the highway with the same tank of gas. My stomach turned again and I was pissed. I cycled the engine again and the light stayed off again. This is my first Raptor and new vehicle for that matter. I really didn't want to take it back to the dealer because I don't like people messing with my stuff, but might have to. I haven't seen anyone else report this so I figured I'd open up the topic. Any advice on what I should do? Wait and see if a new tank of gas clears up the issue? Hope it never comes back and forget it? See if the dealer can detect if there was a code thrown?

I've seen a couple people suggesting to drill a weep hole in the intercooler to drain the condensation. Haven't looked much into this yet but maybe a possible solution?

10/17 build date
Thanks guys

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I agree with the warranty statement... but I bet you put crappy quality fuel in your truck.. I've owned two mustangs and my dad has always owned ford. They are very sensitive to poor quality gas.. I would go to certain stations and my light would come on before I'd get back home lol take it to the dealer tho! I wouldn't go back to the station just to be safe in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, the weep hole is a joke, same with draining the oil from the motor. Don't do it. Go buy an OBD2 scanner and pull the code, should give you an idea what could be wrong before going to the dealer. Maybe it is just a defective gas cap or bad gas. You have warranty, don't be afraid to use it.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what pjones said. Get a code reader, they are inexpensive and dirt simple to use. Or go into the dealer and have them do a scan and tell you what codes come up. The check engine light is your friend, don't be scared of it.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
take to the dealer, the code even if its gone is still in the stored memory. If you have BTB warranty use. no need running around and buying tools.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take to the dealer, the code even if its gone is still in the stored memory. If you have BTB warranty use. no need running around and buying tools.

Also, any Checker Auto, Oreilly, or Autozone location does free code checking. They have the OBD scanners and they will do it quickly for free. Then usually Google is the next step after finding out the code.

But you have the warranty. So use it.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, the weep hole is a joke, same with draining the oil from the motor. Don't do it. Go buy an OBD2 scanner and pull the code, should give you an idea what could be wrong before going to the dealer. Maybe it is just a defective gas cap or bad gas. You have warranty, don't be afraid to use it.

The weep hole is NO joke. This is how the 2011 to present ecoboost crowd can escape engine misfire and CELs. Do your research on this. Ford has never fixed this inherent design flaw... not even on the 2017 version.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its not joke, then maybe it should be. Drilling a hole in your IC to fix misfire and CEL is stupid. I rather deal with the moisture than a leak on boost.

OP
OP
Santiago

Santiago

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys

I think I am going to wait and see if the problem comes back after a fresh tank of gas. If it does I'll make use of the warranty.