Center dash vibration after Whipple Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandman1911

Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask for a little help since there is so much knowledge in this forum. Forgive me if there is a thread on this already but I didn't find anything on multiple searches.

Just installed a Whipple 2.9L supercharger kit, Kooks header back dual exhaust, and JDM tune on my 2014 6.2. Truck has been running flawless for approx two weeks, however I am now getting a buzzing vibration sound right in the center of the dash from what sounds like right under that tray with a speaker in the center dash. It only is present after about 3000rpm and louder under wide open throttle. No loss of power, engine rpm issues, and not audible from the engine bay even with my ear all the way back by the firewall. I have already retightened the supercharger/intake bolts and headers/exhaust bolts. Putting in a boost gauge Friday to see what the boost is doing.

Any ideas or advice would be a great help!!! Thanks y'all.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can lift the rubber mat and check to see if the screws are tightened down all the way. or pull the tray out and check under it

OP
OP
Sandman1911

Sandman1911

Reaction score
Just pulled that tray out and looked inside the dash. Nothing that I could see in the dash except HVAC plastic vent ducts and what looks like the tubular steel for the dash support I assume. There is a little module thing clamped onto the driver side screw that retains the speaker tray. It was loose so I tighted it up and put everything back together tight. The sound/vibration remains. Thanks for the idea though.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe remove the speaker and tray and run and see if its still there and if so maybe you can get a better idea of where its coming from. Maybe even point a gopro and light down there.

OP
OP
Sandman1911

Sandman1911

Reaction score
Well just an update. Turns out I was missing the heater hose flow restrictor that goes inside the coolant in line to the heater core. I replaced this with the part from ford but the dash fluid sounding / vibrations remained. Looked inside the dash again from each side and nothing eventful. Someone told me it could be air trapped in the heater core or lines so I purgued/burped the system by parking on a steep hill and running with radiator cap off and large funnel. The noise remains....I'm stumped. Anyone have an idea. Still no effect on performance or fluid levels.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it is a tight fit for the larger Whipple. Might want to see if something is touching the firewall...

OP
OP
Sandman1911

Sandman1911

Reaction score
Oh yea it's a cozy fit lol. I have clearance though. Definitely have the problem narrowed down to engine coolant flow noise. It's either turbulence with high flow through the heater core or air always getting trapped in there. I went back to the stock 190 degree thermostat which is what JDM suggested, but that didn't fix it either. Engine gets up to operating temp at least now though. So with the radio on at all I don't hear it so guess that's the fix for now. I'll suspected that when the coolant line into the heater core came off I got a bunch of air in there and can't get it out or, the week I drove it without the in line flow restrictor in that line while waiting for the part damaged some flow channel through the heater core. Guess time will tell. Damn it's fun to drive now though!!! All thede guys posting on the "2017 Raptor Detroit " thread saying a V6 will have sufficent power for off roading don't know what they're missing lol.