Broken rear end after long distance trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paratrooper84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So over the last two weeks I've put around 3000 on a13 screw with a total of 29,000 miles on it.. Drive from Oklahoma to DC then Wilmington NC.... On the way back to OK Just as I hit Memphis Tennessee on I-40 I started to hear a whining noise from the rear when cruising at 25 30 mph. Still continued all the way back to Oklahoma and was concerned. Even drove it on grass to eliminate road noise as well as to ensure I wasn't loosing my mind because of the long drive. Took it into the dealership at 7am and just got a call saying that we are replacing your entire rear end. He said something in the rear diff is broke. He will let me know specifics later once he fully brakes it down. That said thank god it's still under warranty and I was able to hear it even in my zombie like state. Definitely important to know what your baby sounds like when something isn't right.. I just hope they fix it before TRR.

D

Deleted member 12951

Found out what exactly they are replacing? I assume they are keeping your axle housing and perhaps just the axles and gear box innards? Or does the dealership actually swap the entire rear end? If so, make sure after you get to TRR to re-tighten the u-bolts.

OP
OP
P

Paratrooper84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found out what exactly they are replacing? I assume they are keeping your axle housing and perhaps just the axles and gear box innards? Or does the dealership actually swap the entire rear end? If so, make sure after you get to TRR to re-tighten the u-bolts.
Spot on brother.. They are keeping the housing and replacing innards... Definitely plan on it, I'll let you guys know exactly what broke as soon as I get a call.

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably the rear pinion bearing. Mine let go at 22k miles after a long road trip as well. Lots of guys have had them fail in the 20 thousand mile range it seems.

OP
OP
P

Paratrooper84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the rear pinion bearing. Mine let go at 22k miles after a long road trip as well. Lots of guys have had them fail in the 20 thousand mile range it seems.

The service adviser did mention that but wasn't sure yet. That's nuts that they blow out so soon. Like I said before thank god for the warranty. I'm really considering extended warranty now.

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The service adviser did mention that but wasn't sure yet. That's nuts that they blow out so soon. Like I said before thank god for the warranty. I'm really considering extended warranty now.
I was told it was just a manufacturer defect and that it's not something I should ever worry about again. But I'm pretty **** about my truck so of course I worry. But I've put 18000 miles on it since then and it sounds as good as new. Mine was under warranty and it was about a $2000 job

OP
OP
P

Paratrooper84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told it was just a manufacturer defect and that it's not something I should ever worry about again. But I'm pretty **** about my truck so of course I worry. But I've put 18000 miles on it since then and it sounds as good as new. Mine was under warranty and it was about a $2000 job
Lol good to know man ...definitely easier on my conscience

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully you get a better rental than I did. They had my truck 3 days and I got a 4 cylinder Silverado to use in that time. I felt like half a man lol.. a 4 cylinder truck. They should be illegal. Not to mention it sat as low as a small SUV.. Pretty strange.