GEN 1 Broken Bed - Ugh!

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Well it looks like a week in Baja ended up breaking my bed. Its easier to explain in a video than talking where or how it is broken. Has anyone ran into this issue before and can it be welded back to be good as new? Was thinking having to remove bed and weld on some reinforcement plates. This does suck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
get after it, it's just a support for the bed shouldn't even coast that much but if it does just take it off have it welded. should only have to do the side that's broke not having to take the whole bed off.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

second look looks like it go's the hole way that does suck and probably have to take it off to get welded right.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

get after it, it's just a support for the bed shouldn't even coast that much but if it does just take it off have it welded. should only have to do the side that's broke not having to take the whole bed off.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

second look looks like it go's the hole way that does suck and probably have to take it off to get welded right.

Yep, what I was thinking too. Amazed how thin the metal is and no one has seen this issue before.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sucks! Cory from RPG was at Snoball this weekend and he mentioned that he has seen some cracked beds from light bar hoops. But he indicated it was up at the top near the corners so not sure if that is related to what you had happen.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like your truck was built from 1981-1996. Those were the years when Fords just shook apart driving down a smooth highway.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this is right there under the 90' jump in terms of epic badassness, You sir, need a baja welding job.

Drive back to baja and have it done for $60 and a case of cerveza. Call er done.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

That sucks! Cory from RPG was at Snoball this weekend and he mentioned that he has seen some cracked beds from light bar hoops. But he indicated it was up at the top near the corners so not sure if that is related to what you had happen.

Yes, I am aware of the thin metal under the bed caps too. Luckily as far as I know, I haven't had an issue there since I modified the way it mounts to the bed sides.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

I believe this is right there under the 90' jump in terms of epic badassness, You sir, need a baja welding job.

Drive back to baja and have it done for $60 and a case of cerveza. Call er done.

Wish I knew when it happened and we had time. Dan had to get his lower shock mount welded and it ended up only being $40 in Baja. This bed definitely needs to come off to do it right.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

So you think it's from the light tower

If I had to take a wild guess, I would say the rough terrain in Baja and the skinny pedal were the two biggest contributors. There was times when it got pretty rough. We were following mostly race course trails ranging as far back as 10 years ago. Still was a blast and would do it again but until I find out what this is going to cost me, ask me again then. :)