GEN 1 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tordesil

Reaction score
I get a feeling that only the front brakes work!? When dad brakes hard on the snow, the front wheels lock, but the rear wheels keep rolling.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get a feeling that only the front brakes work!? When dad brakes hard on the snow, the front wheels lock, but the rear wheels keep rolling.

The front brakes on these truck do the majority of the stopping. The rear just doesn't have enough weight over them to make much of a difference. Now, the front shouldn't be locking up with anti-lock brakes. Perhaps you have a wheel speed sensor that is bad?

The other thing is, you could have a frozen caliper in the rear. I've had two over the course of 100K miles on my truck. When did you service your brakes last time?

Squid 3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, change/flush the brake fluid at 60-80k. Had a front freeze on me and cost $$$
I know it sounds like a load that the mechanic sells you but it ain't. trust me.

OP
OP
Tordesil

Tordesil

Reaction score
The front brakes on these truck do the majority of the stopping. The rear just doesn't have enough weight over them to make much of a difference. Now, the front shouldn't be locking up with anti-lock brakes. Perhaps you have a wheel speed sensor that is bad?

The other thing is, you could have a frozen caliper in the rear. I've had two over the course of 100K miles on my truck. When did you service your brakes last time?
Never serviced the brakes yet! :crazy: 46000Km and Im getting some problems with the brake lights too. I've posted another thread about the brake lights though.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it' about time to at least inspect the brakes. The rear calipers, you can take apart the slides and put some anti-seize on the pin to make sure it doesn't freeze up.

OP
OP
Tordesil

Tordesil

Reaction score
it' about time to at least inspect the brakes. The rear calipers, you can take apart the slides and put some anti-seize on the pin to make sure it doesn't freeze up.

I'll tell my dad ;) Thanks :) Btw here is the other thread i was talking about: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/brake-lights-stay-50352/