Brake lights stuck on and hill decent message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took truck in for an inspection. It passed and I left. Went down the road and got a hill decent system fault message. It wouldn't go away. Read something on raptor forum that on the early model raptors that a non working 3rd brake light can cause this . Checked my brake lights and they were on and wouldn't shut off unless the truck was off and the timer for the parking lights went off. Or if I shut the head lights off. It seems to be tied to the head light system. As soon as I shut the headlights off the hill decent message went away and the brake lights worked normal. When I put the headlights on or auto (lights were on at the time) the brake lights get stuck on. Wtf

14Raptor

Reaction score
I had that happen on my 2010. I disconnected the wiring for the 3rd brake light and it turned off. Turns out the LEDs inside the 3rd brake light were corroded and there was water in the light. Since I was trading it in, I left it disconnected but others reported having to change out the whole 3rd brake light.

OP
OP
G

GRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was water in it. It was frozen and when they took it in the shop to do the inspection the ice melted and caused the problem. Unplugged it and it's gone

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
There was water in it. It was frozen and when they took it in the shop to do the inspection the ice melted and caused the problem. Unplugged it and it's gone

Take it in to get repaired under the TSB

OP
OP
G

GRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called the ford dealer. It isn't a tsb it's an ssm which is something I have to pay for.

ckanderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this issue with my 10/10 build Raptor. after the TSB but water was still getting in the brake light. Ordered a new one on Ebay for 116 bucks. came with a different style of sealing foam and light sockets.

Fixed now.