Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum

brake issue

This is a discussion on brake issue within the Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
For the record I have had my master cylinder replaced on my raptor under warranty about 2 years ago....

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

aka Rick

Mentioned: 404 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

For the record I have had my master cylinder replaced on my raptor under warranty about 2 years ago.

2014 RR SE SCREW | #792 of #3396 in RR | #4568 of #22409 Total | My Mods: Click Here
2008 Shelby Mustang GT500 Torch Red Convertible | #58 of #463 in Torch Red | #249 of #2070 Total
Raptor Runs: TRR & Raptoberfest 14'/15'/16'/17'/18' | Time Attack 14' | Snoball 15'/18' | AR Run 15' | TRR Baja 16'/18' | Private Baja Jan 17'
RDFTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
That does sound odd. The fluid is suspect at best, change it. That’s not expensive and you should be changing it anyway.

I am trying to think back, but I don’t think I’ve ever killed a master cylinder. I’m not saying that’s wrong - it does sound suspiciously like it could be that, just that I’ve never had one go out on me.

I have had a bmw abs module go out on me, made by effete German engineers entirely too impressed with their own competence.

Come to think of it, that failure went like this - brake, brake, brake harder because not slowing down fast enough, brake feel goes to zero. Downshift rapidly, pump brakes again, zero brake feel and then BOOM - ABS fault and full lock up (because the brakes were fully depressed). In my case the abs fault caused brakes to perform normal braking, which worked like they should immediately after fault!

This was a rental, and one of the reasons I pity bmw owners and am a FRF branded “euro-phobe”.
I've had similar issues occur on a couple different vehicles. The only master cylinder that I had fail did produce problems like this but it was on a fastback Mustang long prior to ABS sensors.

Cooked brake fluid does very weird things, I would change that first, it's too easy not to do as the process of elimination. I also had similar problems on another F150 in the late 90's and it was a wheel speed sensor. It was triggering the ABS system but never threw a code and never indicated ABS was having issues on the dash. Took me forever to track down, but the brake pedal behaved just like Noah is explaining. It felt like I would momentarily lose braking ability.

GONE - 2014 Roush Ruby Red SE SCrew

2017 Lightning Blue SCrew
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

aka nosbusa

Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
so is a replacement better than replacing a seal?

Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #24 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Originally Posted by The Car Stereo Company View Post
so is a replacement better than replacing a seal?
Never seen a seal kit, master cylinder is around a hundred bucks with a new reservoir and cap so that's generally what everyone does. Bench bleed, swap it, then bleed at calipers...looks like you need to also bleed the ABS module: Post #3 in this thread from '09 calls for an NGS scan tool and "service bleed" at each corner. Can anyone verify this?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Haven’t looked up to see if there’s a rebuild kit, we just replace them, then use the scanner as in your post , scanner pretty much guides you through the rest, haven’t had to replace any of the abs, as of yet, that’s where it gets expensive.

Back to square one, the problem is air in the system, being master cylinder, or internal leak in abs system, and yes dirty/contaminated fluid can cause problems.
As stated by others, cheapest 1st step change fluid, then move on from there, but you are going to need scanner to do it right, because there is signs of air in system from what is being described, if there is hard codes, he should of popped a light, but if there is a soft code, no light, I would put it on a scanner to start, should see something.

Last edited by J DAMAGE; 07-12-2018 at 05:19 PM.
J DAMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote