Blown transfer case???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last night I get to this big rocky hill climb at the top of a mountain near Denver. I've gone up it at least 20 times over the year.

I go to put it in 4 low and get the "shift delayed - pull forward". I try to pull forward and it's like the transfer case is in neutral. This has happened to me before. So I get it back into 4 hi. Tried to get it in low for 10 mins. No luck.

So I climb the hill in 4 hi. No problem. At the top I finally mange to get in in 4 low.

I keep it in 4 low for about an hour then put it back in 2hi and we hit the road for the drive back to Denver.

When coming down a hill on the interstate with cruise control on the RPMs suddenly fly up and it free wheels like the t case is in neutral. I pull over and try to get it back in gear. All I manage to get it in is what I can only call 2 low. Low range but 2wd. So I try to drive home like that but the speedometer must think I'm in hi, since it's at 100mph when I'm going around 38. Then it "pops" out of gear. That was it. Couldn't get the t case in any gear.

My buddy in his tundra was towing my deck-over with his off road rig on it. So We connected a strap to the back of the deck over trailer and he "double towed" me back 30 miles.

Looked under the truck. No visible damage.

Truck is now at the dealer waiting for diagnosis. Anyone ever have a similar issue?

--John

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you play in the water? Even in the last week or so? Many parts of your story have happened to me. Dealer replaced the shift motor. That was not the issue. Water got into the connector for the shift motor confusing the signals going to\from the computer. It did not want to shift at all sometimes and other times it would only partly shift.

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't been in any water.

Dealer called this morning. They got on it right away. He said transfer case needs to come out. His only concern was some scrapes on the skid plates and such. I told him there is no physical damage to the t case so that should not be an issue. He said as long as when they remove there is no physical damage then it should get covered.

I'll keep everyone posted.

--John

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My guess is the shift motor has died, I'm at the dealership as I write this waiting for them to finish replacing mine.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer called this morning. They got on it right away. He said transfer case needs to come out. His only concern was some scrapes on the skid plates and such. I told him there is no physical damage to the t case so that should not be an issue. He said as long as when they remove there is no physical damage then it should get covered.

I'm going to look into next steps on my end, johndjmix. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN up-to-date mileage, and the name of your Ford Dealer.

My guess is the shift motor has died, I'm at the dealership as I write this waiting for them to finish replacing mine.

Second verse, same as the first. :) Send over a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and Ford Dealer.

I'm on this.

Todd

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped by the dealer, Larry h miller ford in Lakewood, today. Transfer case is shot. They ordered a new one will have it on Friday.

So far it looks like ford is covering it all including the rental car.

I've got to say the way ford handled this so far, everything from the fast roadside assistance (tow) to the rental car, to the service, has been amazing!

--John

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I stopped by the dealer, Larry h miller ford in Lakewood, today. Transfer case is shot. They ordered a new one will have it on Friday.

So far it looks like ford is covering it all including the rental car.

I've got to say the way ford handled this so far, everything from the fast roadside assistance (tow) to the rental car, to the service, has been amazing!

Hi John,

I'm glad to hear everything is going well! I'm going to do some work on my end, as well. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, and mileage.

Thanks,

Todd

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sent to you about 15 mins ago Todd.

--John

Hi John, I'm glad to hear everything is going well! I'm going to do some work on my end, as well. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, and mileage. Thanks, Todd