Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum

Blown IWE (multiple times) and Bruised Ego

This is a discussion on Blown IWE (multiple times) and Bruised Ego within the Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!

User Tag List

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2015, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Angry Blown IWE (multiple times) and Bruised Ego
Hello FRF friends!

About six months back I purchased my second Raptor (I wanted the Roush) \and the IWEs have been giving me hell! At 7K miles I noticed when climbing the sand dunes that my IWE (left side) was popping and inhibiting me from maintaing speed while climbing a dune. Took it to Ford for warranty work, sent me away saying it was "normal." Went back to the dunes and it got worse, much worse. Went back to ford and they acknowledged my issue (you could just put it in 4x4, drive straight and you could hear and feel it popping while mildly accelerating). The mechanic said it wasn't the IWE as he inspected just the front side; it was my transfer case, so they put a new one on and sent me on my way.

Went to the dunes and same ol' shit. Went back and expressed that it was indeed the IWEs and had them take the driver side apart. What did he find? The backside of the IWE solenoid was cracked. They replaced half shafts on both sides, and IWEs on both sides. Problem solved! Until yesterday... Went to the dunes, was climbing up and POP! The driver side IWE blew out again. Might I add I'm not by any means trying to place my truck under massive amounts of stress or load, I just really want to use it for what its intended. The hill wasn't even that large, just a lot of loose sand. I'm going to take it to Ford tomorrow, but my concern is that the HP/torque contained in the Roush cannot be maintained by Ford's IWEs.

Ö.So the story continues, I figured Iíd wait to post to a thread and have been adding to this story as things progress. Ford replaced the IWES mentioned above (a second time). Today I went to the dunes again (two month since last episode), which are the general terrain in Southern Utah. We had a great day without issue, that is, until it was time to leave. I packed up the dog and my son and was headed to the paved road. To get there you need to build a little bit of speed as it up a hill. Got almost to the top, gave a little more gas and pop pop, IWEs blew again ( I feel like if the wheels spin just a little bit under torque they blow). Had to reversed down, 4X4 quit engaging, sank in the sand, and I was pulled out by a Duramax, thus my bruised ego (everyone laughed at the Raptorís performance). I have a hard time wrapping my head around this. I have much experience off roading but the Raptor hasnít been living up to its name. I have a built 2004 Expedition with almost 200k miles that does better at the dunes than this thing. Anyway, does anyone out there know of anything aftermarket that might withstand tolerances a little better for the Roush, or do I need to keep blowing these things up until ford provides a better option? Thanks for reading!

Mattyboy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

aka Rick

Mentioned: 394 Post(s)

These?

Ultimate IWE Eliminator for Ford Raptor

2014 RR SE SCREW | #792 of #3396 in RR | #4568 of #22409 Total | My Mods: Click Here
2008 Shelby Mustang GT500 Torch Red Convertible | #58 of #463 in Torch Red | #249 of #2070 Total
Raptor Runs: TRR 14'/15'/16'/17' | Raptoberfest 14'/15'/16'/17' | Time Attack 14' | Snoball 15' | AR Run 15' | TRR Baja 16' | Private Baja Jan 17'
RDFTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the post, I took a look, seems fairly straightforward and simple, do you use these? Even in deep sand? I appreciate the insights....
Old 05-31-2015, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

Originally Posted by RDFTS View Post

Does anyone know if these have been used/tested on a blown raptor?
cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
I figured if I was to do such a thing I would warranty the current ones then put em on, wonder how the mod effects warranty as well, I also wonder whats happens to the vacuum lines when doing this (how it engages and disengages 2wd vs 4wd) and what kind of additional strain is put on the t-case and tranny?

The description does seem a bit vague on their website, guess ill call them and get more info...
Old 05-31-2015, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

aka Rick

Mentioned: 394 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Mattyboy86 View Post
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the post, I took a look, seems fairly straightforward and simple, do you use these? Even in deep sand? I appreciate the insights....
I do not. So far I haven't had IWE issues, knock on wood. I was just browsing SDHQ site the other day and ran across those then remember them when I read your post.

2014 RR SE SCREW | #792 of #3396 in RR | #4568 of #22409 Total | My Mods: Click Here
2008 Shelby Mustang GT500 Torch Red Convertible | #58 of #463 in Torch Red | #249 of #2070 Total
Raptor Runs: TRR 14'/15'/16'/17' | Raptoberfest 14'/15'/16'/17' | Time Attack 14' | Snoball 15' | AR Run 15' | TRR Baja 16' | Private Baja Jan 17'
RDFTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

aka nosbusa

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

i have had 4wd problems ever since i have had the truck. i go to pismo quite often and i only use 4wd when i get stuck in the dunes, however it always disengages when climbing out of a dune

Old 06-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)

I would think that if you added IWE deletes that anything in the front drive system would be void if you wanted too make a warranty claim.

The IWE is sensitive and I typically blow one or two a year. But, yrs you are correct, once you put them under load, they crack. It's only plastic taking all that torque.

There is done things you can do to try and increase the longevity of them.

1) always let the truck run for 30 seconds or more when you start the truck. This ensures the vacuum system has disengaged the IWE.

2) never shift on the fly. Always slow to a crawl when engaging and disengaging. And keep the wheel straight.

3) never full lock the steering and power the truck while in for wheel drive.

4) ask your dealer to check your vacuum system. Sometimes the valve will go bad and you are driving around town with the IWE engaged.

Lastly @HAYNES OFFROAD is working on a stronger IWE that might work well for you. Again, I think it may void warranty on other components, but not sure since it will engage and disengage like the stock IWE. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Upgraded IWE gear replacement interest

Yukon Joe

2012 SCREW | NIGHT RAPTOR Revolution Wrap | RPG Stage 4+, Black Tie-rods, Prerunner 1.0 UCA, Steering Res | AMB LED Light Kit | Raptor Retrofit HIDs w/ Amber Ring | Hefty Fabworks Skid Plates | ADD ABS Guard | Recon 10500lb Winch w/ Factor55 | Whelen LEDs | WSI FE Mount | Extang Solidfold | Weathertech Liners | PDP Flaps | TYT9000VHF Radio |
I love Raptorwifey

Last edited by Yukon Joe; 06-02-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Adding link
Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

The Cracker Raptor

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)

Originally Posted by The Car Stereo Company View Post
i have had 4wd problems ever since i have had the truck. i go to pismo quite often and i only use 4wd when i get stuck in the dunes, however it always disengages when climbing out of a dune
Edit...

i have had 4wd problems ever since i have had the truck. i go to pismo quite often and i have someone pull me out when I get stuck, however it always disengages when climbing out of a dune

Yep...

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Mattyboy86 View Post
Went to the dunes and same ol' shit. Went back and expressed that it was indeed the IWEs and had them take the driver side apart. What did he find? The backside of the IWE solenoid was cracked. They replaced half shafts on both sides, and IWEs on both sides. Problem solved! Until yesterday... Went to the dunes, was climbing up and POP! The driver side IWE blew out again. Might I add I'm not by any means trying to place my truck under massive amounts of stress or load, I just really want to use it for what its intended. The hill wasn't even that large, just a lot of loose sand. I'm going to take it to Ford tomorrow, but my concern is that the HP/torque contained in the Roush cannot be maintained by Ford's IWEs.
Are you getting a lot of front wheel slip? I wonder if the front wheels breaking traction could be causing the IWE issue? What tire pressure are you running at the dunes?
Mattyboy86 likes this.
Trick_Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

Originally Posted by The Car Stereo Company View Post
Must be so annoying...Were you with other Raptor that passed the dunes without problem ? Quite scary to hear that, cannot believe our trucks have such a weak point on a so important part of the transmission...

Is this possible that the IWEs may not be fully engaged, thus causing the system to pop and/or break ?

Edit : From another thread on FRF : My friend's daughter's F150 had an IWE failure and when he measured the vacuum in the lines, the failed wheel-end had improper vaccum. I think the IWE failures is more of the effect than the cause.

Last edited by Fb73; 06-03-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Fb73 is offline   Reply With Quote