Blown Fox shock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had RPG install a stage 2 kit for me last Friday. During the installation they found a blown rear shock. I've been looking into it, and it seems there are quite a few passenger side rear shocks that have blown. It's seems curious that the passenger rear fails more often.
I'm going to try and have ford warranty the shock, it has 34k miles on it and falls within the 36k bumper to bumper warranty.
I'm also going to look into having it rebuilt, has anyone found a rebuilder for the stock shocks?
I was lucky enough to score a pair of rear shocks with only 9k mikes on them from a fellow Raptor owner who was at RPG on Friday, so I don't have to rush to get this fixed.
I had a great time at RPG, great shop and crew there, it's like a candy store for big kids!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Yep, I was the proud owner of a blown-to-shit passenger rear shock when I got my stage 2 put on at RPG also.

Here was mine...we compressed it by hand (doing our best superman/hulk imitations) and it would not rebound at all. it just sat like this.

acvfV.jpg

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a common theme... My left rear was blown and not discovered until had my RPG stage 3 install... Turned into a Stage 4 after I told my wife I really needed that stronger 3.0! Never let a crisis go to waste!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I told my wife that....my wife told me "******** you do!" :lol2:

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a stupid question. How do you recognize a blown shock without being up on a lift?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a bad shock will not return when compressed, will bounce a bunch of times and/or leak oil
a good shock should stop moving after 2or 3 bounces when you push on it

other than that put it on a lift.....

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

or press down on the shock in question rather than trying to bounce it, it should rise back up and stop, if it doesnt rise smoothly you might have a problem

OP
OP
Conejoracer

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not realize the shock had blown, I hadn't been under the truck in a while. I did notice the ride was substantially better with the new shock. I guess the dampening faded away over time so the change went unnoticed.