Bed extender caused rust. Warranty denied

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've got the factory bed extender on the Raptor with no bed liner.

Under the bed extender at the points that rest on the surface of the bed itself... Ford has those little rubber nubs on the resting points.

While not in use, and locked up properly on the side as per Ford's design..

The Nubs have worn through the paint on both sides and caused surface rust.

I took it into the dealership and showed him, and he 100% felt that it was caused by the design of the Bed extender and not from wear & tear or "use".

So he submitted a claim to Ford, and they immediately declined to do anything about it in spite of both the service dept, sending in photo's to show that it was caused by the bed extender directly.

After Ford declined it, without even getting back to me first. The service tech went through his manager for a second opinion and they both agreed that this was definately something that should be fixed under warranty as it's a design flaw and not caused by use. (It's not being used!!! and is in the resting position as per Ford's design.)

So they submitted an appeal to the claim re-stating the case and arguing that they strongly felt it should be covered under warranty.

Ford declined a second time, stating this time... That warranty doesn't cover "paint fading" or this issue based on exposure to the elements.

Service guy felt this was BS, and I do too. The paint anywhere else on the truck is fine. It is only BOTH sides of their bed extender that are rusting.

The only reason there is "exposure" to elements for rust to begin in the first place is because the Bed Extender in it's resting position is ripping the paint off the bed... thus exposng it to the elements.

Anyway, I think this is a load of crap, and ought to be covered under warranty. I don't think I am being un-reasonable in thinking so. Thoughts?

What are my options in tying to escalate this matter?

Anyone else having this problem? Or is this possibly a defect in the one that I got? I've never heard of this until experiencing it myself.

This obviously needs to be fixed before it gets any worse, but I thought this is exactly what I have a warranty for.

Pretty dissappointed in Ford on this one..

I finally found a dealership that has been treating me well, after raunchy buying & also service experience at the dealership I purchased from.

Service at the current dealership has been fantastic.. For once I wish Ford was showing the kind of customer service my dealership is exercising.

Anyway, pretty peeved that something Ford designed wore a hole through my paint, and I get footed with the bill.

Anyone else think this ought to be covered under warranty? Am I being unreasonable?

(For any of those on the fence about bed liner, perhaps this is some incentive for you to go for it.)

However, those on the fence for the bed extender, perhaps this is incentive to avoid it if you don't plan to use a liner/cover.

Last edited:

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you have chance in hell with getting Ford with re-imbursing or repainting the bed, but ask them to split the cost of doing a Line-X bedliner for you. That's my 2 cents! Good luck with getting it resolved in a timely manner.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the bed extender is not up to my standards only for city people. I wanted it for my 4 wheeler but don't latch. I have used it a few times but for the money not 100% sold on it any how. I think the dealer should have fixed it but that is where buying where you service helps. not necessarily your fault but if you've only had service work done would you bend over for someone. if you knew you had a good customer ya.

OP
OP
Mayhem

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you.

Yeah, service guy said based on the way its rubbing off in its locked away position.. Line X or removing the extender were my only options after repainting.

If it was just regular rusting or wear n tear or fading.. caused by exposure alone.. I wouldn't even bother trying to get it fiixed under warranty... Comes with the territory.

Just annoyed that it's something I paid extra for, that they designed that caused it directly. And now I have to pay "extra" on top of said extra to fix it.

I personally think good customer service would take care of this. I'd gladly pay for my own line-X knowing the risks now. But felt the paint shoulda been covered.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good on that dealer for siding with the customer. In the customer service world, the customer is always right. I think going half on bed liner would be fair. If not paying in full. They could sand the rust down, prime it, and then apply the bed liner.

OP
OP
Mayhem

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bed extender is not up to my standards only for city people. I wanted it for my 4 wheeler but don't latch. I have used it a few times but for the money not 100% sold on it any how. I think the dealer should have fixed it but that is where buying where you service helps. not necessarily your fault but if you've only had service work done would you bend over for someone. if you knew you had a good customer ya.

I tried to buy my truck through them, but they couldn't get the color I wanted in. Only reason I bought elsewhere.. But this was the only local Ford dealership that I had a decent experience at.

That said, I have serviced with them regularly since my purchase..As well as any warranty work.. And my service guy at the current dealership was also my service guy who took care of me when I had my Camaro previously as he used to work at a GM dealer.

He goes to bat for me, and has been back & forth with Ford on this for the past week now.. Great guy and I trust that he's putting in a sincere effort.
He can't take care of the issue if Ford declines it though.

The dealership manager is also aware that I am shopping for a DD right now.. And am between either a Fiesta ST (Which if I buy, will be through this dealership as I am happy with the dealers end of the service.) or a Subaru BRZ...

So I think he's trying that much harder to keep my business knowing I'm car shopping.

The service at this dealer is a huge reason I service with them and not elsewhere.

This is on Ford's end, not the dealership imo. But I see where you're comin from !

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mayhem

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fixing the 2 rust spots could cost that much. why don't the dship just fix it.

He's looking into it for me atm to see what my options are. And tryin to save me some coin. Going to talk to the guy they use for painting.. We'll see what he comes back with.

I agree that would be good customer service on the dealerships end. But I think that since the dealership never caused the issue, I just feel on principle alone.. Ford should be the one stepping up in this case.

I think I'd sooner foot the bill myself, than hang it on the dealer if Ford doesn't step up in this case.

Last edited: